Bye Bye Captain Sir Tom

I’ll be honest I don’t watch much TV at all,and recently have avoided news channels unless there is something big

2 Likes

The media coverage of Captain Tom’s fundraising effort was way over the top but I don’t care one bit as he inspired 000’s possibly 0000’s of others all over the world to do the same, he was an ordinary man who had lived a varied life and he simply wanted to give a little back to those who had cared for him.

9 Likes

I agree, but does anyone wonder why his family thought whisking him off to Bermuda was a good idea in the midst of a world wide pandemic? I don’t know how much say he had in it and, as a dedicated non-flyer, I don’t know what the artificial atmosphere in an airliner does to 100 year old lungs, but really?

Seems it was on his “bucket list”… one more thing ticked… :hugs:

1 Like

It was actually Barbados, I don’t wholly disagree but it was a lifetime ambition of his and the trip was made before travel restrictions were in place, I’ve no doubt though that the family will question their decision for many years to come.

1 Like

I don’t think the trip had anything to do with it.

December 9, 2020 Captain Tom is tested for Coronavirus ahead of a planned trip abroad with his family and is shown to be clear of the disease.

December 11, 2020 The war veteran tweets a picture of himself on a British Airways plane seat before he travels to Barabados, saying ‘I never thought that, at the age of 100, I would get to travel again’

December 18, 2020 Captain Tom looks healthy and relaxed in a picture from Barbados, captioned ‘Enjoying a beautiful family day in the Barbados sunshine’

January 6, 2021 Captain Tom and his family return to the UK and continues regular testing for Covid, with all results coming back negative

January 12, 2021 The fundraiser is admitted to hospital in Bedfordshire after beginning to suffer breathing problems. He is diagnosed with pneumonia and is kept in for treatment. He is given another coronavirus test, which shows he does not have the disease.

January 22, 2021 Captain Tom is discharged from hospital for his own comfort. That day, a test he has now got coronavirus.

January 31, 2021 His family say he has been admitted to hospital after suffering breathing difficulties.

February 2, 2021 A statement from his daughters reveal he has died peacefully with his relatives around him in hospital.

1 Like

I guess he had a lot of character attributes that members of the Cabinet are sadly lacking. For example he fought for his Country and Johnson and Gove have just used it for their gratification.

3 Likes

Sir Tom was totally superb in his twilight hours.

Hats off too to the British public also for their donations. This level of charitable support is hard to find outside the UK

2 Likes

That is because, in most developed countries with a conscience it isn’t actually necessary.
Captain sir Tom notwithstanding, life-expectancy in the UK has decreased in the past few years, and that is shameful.
Hats off to the the great British public indeed, but that it should be for doing what government won’t, bothers me rather.

4 Likes

Have you got the links to back that statement up?

The institute said it now expects men aged 65 to die at 86.9 years, down from its previous estimate of 87.4 years, while women who reach 65 are likely to die at 89.2 years, down from 89.7 years.7 mars 2019

[image]

www.theguardian.com › society › mar

Life expectancy falls by six months in biggest drop in UK forecasts | Life expectancy | The Guardian

Double post removed

Sorry it appeared twice, made a hash somehow, oh both disappeared
Why is life expectancy decreasing in the UK?

The reasons for these trends are unclear and have been hotly debated. Several studies attributed both the 2015 fall in life expectancy and the slowdown in mortality improvements after 2011 to the consequences of austerity-driven constraints on health, social care and other public spending and their impact on services.26 juin 2020

[image]

www.kingsfund.org.uk › publications

What is happening to life expectancy in the UK? | The King’s Fund

1 Like

Look out it doesnt happen in France. The proliferation of fast food American based rubbish will do exactly the same as it has in the USA, then the UK and anyone who copies the sugar rich simple carbohydrate low fat diet will see a decrease in life expectancy.

1 Like

@Corona
Yes - but it’s not the only factor, is it!

Does someone fancy continuing this discussion elsewhere and letting the remembrance of Captain Tom continue here

3 Likes

Sorry @Eddie, yes of course.

What do you suggest are the other factors?
Edit, sorry Vero only just saw the document describing the other factors.

1 Like

Hmmmmm.

Donations came from 53 countries, not just Britain.

Life expectancy is affected by many things not just healthcare. Diet, exercise, smoking, alcohol consumption just to mention a few. It is complex.

2 Likes

I could not agree more though I think the suggestion of a statue is a bit over the top.
He will be remembered simply because everyone will remember
Covid-19 and his effort is synonymous with the event.
RIP