Call for EU27 to confirm status of UK citizens

Quote from British In Europe:

“Those of us waiting for host nations to legislate for our rights under the same WA hope that they don’t decide to follow suit. Spare a thought for 1.2m BRITISH CITIZENS watching what is happening in despair…”

[

Those of us waiting for host nations to legislate for our rights under the same WA hope that they don't decide to follow suit. Spare a thought for 1.2m BRITISH CITIZENS watching what is happening in despair… https://t.co/o6JZfETOCU

— British in Europe (@BritishInEurope) September 8, 2020
](

Those of us waiting for host nations to legislate for our rights under the same WA hope that they don't decide to follow suit. Spare a thought for 1.2m BRITISH CITIZENS watching what is happening in despair… https://t.co/o6JZfETOCU

— British in Europe (@BritishInEurope) September 8, 2020
)

1 Like

Hope who does ‘t decide to follow suit with what? Doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Useful to clarify on what you hope they don’t decide to follow suite…

1 Like

Hopefully, whatever they might or might not be hoping for, it isn’t hopeless. Hope not anyway​:thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Might relate to a question I asked in another thread - if the UK beaches the brexit withdrawal agreement, what’s to stop other countries disregarding its settlement on citizens’ rights?

3 Likes

Because other countries still believe in the rule of international law, and the importance of this in developing stable international relations. And are not governed by duplicitous egomaniacs.

9 Likes

Precisely, and I have raised this somewhere else too.
@JaneJones
Yes, we assume and hope that they do, but did we not assume that the British government respected international law? We can’t assume anything, just hope that the WA as it currently applies to France and it’s British residents, will not be changed in the light of the blond moron’s antics. I refer, of course, to the one on this side of the Atlantic. :wink: :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

At bottom my feeling is that you’re right about France Jane - but not sure all EU countries are not governed by duplicitous egomaniacs.

Germany isn’t (at the moment).

I have written to my MP asking for a Ministerial promise that should the problems with the WA result in a No Deal, our health status will not be affected.

I am trying to understand what ‘rights’ are we talking about? As EU citizens had ‘rights’ in the EU, but for example did not provide you with ‘Rights’ in America. That is now defunct as Britain has opted out of the EU Charter. There MIGHT be some case under universal Human Rights but at this time I don’t think this is what you are talking about?
If you get a Carte de Sejour then that wiil provide some ‘rights’ but also responsibilities.
The baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.

The rights are those we have as former EU citizens.

The EU27 have proposed that we should have fewer rights that citizens of 3rd nation states.

Have a look at what British In Europe and others say.

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

Specifics?

2 Likes

Forever the optimist Jane, I think such promises are very thin on the ground, a promise today but broken tomorrow, with Bojo in charge nothing is worth the paper it’s written on.

3 Likes

Of course we all know that the EU27 can revoke ALL the WA except for the provisions regarding the very limited citizenship rights the EU27 have granted but not implemented, do we not?

Reading the WA, information that British In Europe and others put out leaves us all much better informed.

Grahame Pigney

Paul,

Compare the rights we have been granted under the WA and those granted to 3rd Nation states citizens, specifically check the difference regarding Freedom of Movement in EU27 states.

Easily done, particularly if you have been following, and hopefully supporting, the various organisations campaigning on your behalf (British In Europe, Remain In France Together, People’s Challenge….)

Grahame Pigney

No, I’m asking YOU for info - if I have a similar point to make I provide links and specifics, I don’t send people off on a vague Internet hunt.

9 Likes

What are the differences? Do tell! I’m curious but I’m afraid that as I’m not affected, I really can’t be bothered to comb through a load of stuff looking for that specific information.

10 Likes

@anon88169868 @vero He doesn’t have even the vaguest clue…
Just imagine in the Supreme Court, the lead barrister is asked by the Lord President for a specific and he replies “go look for it yourself m’lady”
Short shrift or what to follow… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

“necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit”, Grahame ?

3 Likes