Call for EU27 to confirm status of UK citizens

says it all - where does he say anything about ancestry?

4 Likes

No mention of ancestry there

2 Likes

I am Austrian and Russian, well Ukrainian, by ancestry…

3 Likes

Catharine the Great - thought I knew you from somewhere :wink:

2 Likes

Graham,

Said it all about my ancestry – French (Norman & Huguenot), English, Scottish – I know where my family origins are from the early/mid 1600’s

Can you do the same?

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

Edward,

Why do you think there is no mention of ancestry?

I am French (both Norman invader and Huguenot refugee), Scottish and English. I haven’t found any Welsh or Irish ancestors.

What is your ancestry?

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vo****us vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

The conversation was between you and @vero where you said you were French nothing about my heritage.
but since you ask…

As a native Irish surname, Lees is derived from the Gaelic name Mac Laoidhigh, which comes from the word “laoidh,” which means “a poem;” or from Mac Giolla Iosa, which means “son of the devotee of Jesus.” However, Lee is also a common indigenous name in England, many families of which have been established in Ireland

gnome-shell-screenshot-OLP2Q0

Don’t think it means I can get an Irish passport though :cry:
but, I thought you would know that already being as you are a genealogist :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Gloucestershire and Jewish on the maternal line. Lancashire on the paternal line, (traced back to the 1600s)

Unlike some of the above posters, my family tree is very short; my mother was born in Detroit in 1925 and was adopted. On the basis of her birth certificate she’d always assumed that her parents were Franco-Polish emigrés, but some eighty years later, with the advent of Google, we concluded*that they were more likely Franco-Hungarian and that her surname had been misspelt on her birth certificate (couldn’t find another example of that name, but found thousands thatdiffered by just one letter). When we told her about her mother’s change of nationality, my mother simply replied, "What does it matter?’ She didn’t say, “Hungarian, schmumgarian”, but that was the essence of it.

By contrast, on Tuesday we had a lovely, four hour Aveyron lunch with our french teacher, whose family have lived in the same house outside Senergues since the fifteenth century

2 Likes

Lithuania and Africa…and neither will give me a passport. I am a first generation immigrant to UK, and now to France.

No I am afraid you didn’t - what you actually said was

Which doesn’t convey the same impression at all. Obviously if your ancestors were Huguenots who escaped after the revocation of the Edit de Nantes then it is a bit distant for getting citizenship now - about the only people in Europe who confer citizenship on countrymen who emigrated 400 years ago are the Germans and I’m not sure even they still do - and it perhaps applied only to those Volga Swabians or Saxons or whatever they were anyway.

4 Likes

The thread drift is much more interesting than Grahame’s constant whingeing, I’m a mix of Norfolk and Suffolk peasant stock which is dull compared to the rest of you.

2 Likes

Oh Tim, I can get even duller - Essex and Kent peasant stock. Norfolk and Suffolk sounds positively exotic by comparison.

2 Likes

My application is in with the Germans on the basis of my grandfather born in 1880…a mere 140 years.

2 Likes

I also have Huguenot ancestry - by a strange coincidence, the very week we moved to France a relative sent me a family history (on my mother’s side - Fountain) showing the family had moved from France in the 16th century (actually before the Edict of Nantes - as an indirect result of the fall of Calais and the Archbishop of Lorraine’s invitation of the Spanish Inquisition into northern France).

So multi cultural! In my dh’s case, he is the first person ever born abroad, his whole mothers family Frencher than French and yet because of a stupid sexist law he is unable to easily get nationality (and from what I’ve read because of income reasons he won’t meet the mark so unlikely to get it). I’m really upset about it, it seems so unfair.

Wow just goes to show how strict the French are :sleepy:

I’m 1/2 Aussie (originally from the UK) 1/2 English (well Scottish / French etc as well from what I understand)

I should have said in my French family :wink: mind you 3 out of 4 of my grandparents were born in different Asian countries.
The Germans are big on droit du sang and not really on droit du sol. You can be a 3rd generation Italian or Turkish immigrant and until quite recently you wouldn’t have German nationality. My stepfather (now legally my father) is from the Black Forest, but where he was born is Russia now.

Well not really, as there is a special German law for giving back nationality to survivors and descendants of people who were stripped of it in 1936. And it’s not easy to get…but I have my fingers crossed that one country or another will give me nationality as I really don’t wamt to be British any more.

2 Likes

Sigh.

1 Like

Austria does the same thing.

1 Like