Campervan V Caravan - discuss!

Perfect for a couple of lovebirds – plenty of room.

No kids and no need to dismantle dining tables to get their beds out every night. Always hated those!

1 Like

Comes with a housekeeper, I hope. For meals on wheels + light dusting

2 Likes

that’s what got me chuckling… which bed do you fancy tonight, darling…??

Wow - just wondering how many gallons/mile :astonished: can just about manage to manoeuvre the car and trailer…couldn’t imagine taking that on! Very co-incidental seeing this thread come to life, as have been looking at alot of ‘how to’ van conversions out there. Amazing how creative some folks are, and how much they can make of the space. Strikes me as a great way of getting outdoors and touring, and giving loads of flexibility, plus allowing you to build exactly what you want for a reasonable cost. Alot of head scratching going on :grinning:

1 Like

fun to look at… yes… but possibly not much fun to register in France…

Or invest the money and have a really good holiday each year for about 20 years for the same amount?

3 Likes

As Stella said you’ve got to be even more out of the box here. You need to build units that are removable for CT time! A friend of mine has an awesome conversion she did in the back of her Kangoo that she pops in and out as needed.

1 Like
1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking of doing. I have a friend locally who has a VW van, the one that is full of seats and windows, and has built different units that he can add and remove very easily. It’s very very versatile and practical and means he can use it to transport people, any large building materials or other large items or use it as a camping car. That’s precisely the sort of thing I’m thinking of, so keeping it’s CT status as a van, but having the flexibility versus buying a motorhome type vehicle that would be sat on the drive for weeks or months through the year when not using to go away.

1 Like

That’s precisely the kind of kit - and making it yourself isn’t too difficult, and you maximise the space in the van you end up selecting. Being able to dive off at the drop of a hat, or being able to move on to another area if you want to is what really interests me. Almost endless flexibility!

1 Like

must admit I’m left wondering why one would remove stuff before the necessary controle technique… and put it back afterwards… surely the CT is to prove/test roadworthiness/safety etc???
However, I’ll leave this thread to wander as it chooses…

If I had a housekeeper, and she’d be a woman, she could look after my house while I live in my Airstream, parked in the garden!

Easier to keep clean & tidy – right up my street!

1 Like

Because if you do a full refit of permanent variety, as many do in the UK / Oz no problems here it is a no no. So by being removable it makes it a/ possible here and b/ as Tim (not Tim!!) said massively flexible :grinning:

1 Like

Sorry I’ve called you Tim but have I just made that up?? :rofl: :rofl:

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: just been rechristened :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: been called many things but never Tim :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

I rented a similar Airstream in 1991. The fuel consumption averaged 7 miles per gallon…

Wow - not at all surprised, but hope it was in the US with substantially lower fuel cost! And that’s another reason for looking at a regular van and converting (temporarily).

Sorry :rofl: I’ll just call you letsmile then :rofl:

1 Like

Oh my god, insane!!!

No worries - certainly gave me a big smile :grin::grin:

1 Like