Can I remove tenant who is 77 in order to move in myself?

Thank you all - this has been very helpful, indeed!!!

Marie-Claire, am I glad I just looked at your link and I see the new rules came into force 1st August this year for Paris initially but I can’t quite work out if same new regs will or do apply in my commune in the Sarthe (72), therefore not sure where I stand as a locataire here, renting a badly maintained property i.e. she didnt do some needed work she’d verbally agreed to before I signed the ontra t, so ow im ontemplating onta ting ADIL. Is that best thing to do, get a report on conditions problems I think (no I know!) exist, which are not helping my health.

As an english tenant of a french landlady, according to information on my french rental agreement " Contrat de Location".

I am the Locataire, ie the ‘tenant’ my Landlady is the Bailleur we both have rights and responsibilities according to my contract.

I assume your tenant already has a legal french Contract, even if signed with someone else who you bought the house from, the duration still stands, mine is for 3 years and renewable by mutual consent, Or can initially be made for a longer period. French law will overide a different contract!

You can give the Tenant 6 months written notice to leave, sent recorded delivery or notice given on your behalf by acte of a Bailiff - par acte d’huissier, dependant on the following statotory rules and regulations on my contract.

Part 2 of the Contract refers to ‘Conge’ i.e., leaving the property, notice of which can be given to the tenant by the Bailleur giving 6 full months written notice, sent by recorded delivery.

HOWEVER…if the tenant is in receipt of minimum income, and/or gets state help with income i.e. “revenue de Solidarite active”, it also depends on state of health of tenant, and whether age of tenant is more than 60 years, either or both of which justifies a change of domicile!

Above is only translated by me from my contract.

I certainly agree you should speak to someone first as suggested, but my suggestion is go and see a notaire rather than an immobilier, the notaire will definitely know all the legal ins and outs of rental contracts, and quite often act as agents themselves, advertising privately owned properties for sale and to rent, (if the immobiliers arent up to speed) especially as some of the rental regulations changed sometime last year. My paper contract is definitely printed according to previous rules/regs.

One tjing i do remember from previous rentals is that if the Proprietaire of the property needed to live in it himself he could give his/her tenant notice to vacate. You say your tenant is 77, so the above may come into play, I dont know, go speak to the most local Notaire, who may be aware of the tenant and his circumstances.

The normal ontract length is 3 years, but can be made for longer if agreed by both parties. You cAnnot ask a tenant to leave during the winter months, and dates for commencement/ end of winter are set by Gov annually, but generally

Part 4 of is regarding renewal of Contract,

It's a little complicated….. you can ask him to leave if his resources represent over 1.5 times the minimum wage, otherwise you need to find accommodation for him with the same surface, rent and facilities unless you are over 60 years of age or your resources are inferior to 1.5 times the minimum wage. http://www.notretemps.com/droit/immobilier/resiliation-du-bail-protection-locataires-plus-70-ans,i43618

There is some useful relevant information here.
http://poitoucharentes.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/132739/0/long-term-house-rental-required/