Can UK cancel Brexit and stay in EU?

Will the United Kingdom permit the unrestricted movement of the citizens of 27 EU states across the border between the Republic of Ireland :ireland:and :uk: Northern Ireland if there is no ‘deal’? Isn’t ‘control of our borders’ and doing away with free movement one of the Brexiteers’ ‘red lines’? :thinking:

No mention of that either?

1 Like

No mention of the fact that the first thing that any country will ask for if it is to grant a ‘fabulous’ trade deal, is visas for its citizens.
Can someone please tell me how that is honouring the result of the Referendum, given that immigration was the main factor?

Because, in that mindset, we will have “control” over which individuals get visas, so its alright.

The irony is that quite a few of those who voted Leave because of “immigration” will have had in mind those who have a darker coloured skin than the British average - immigrants who are “visible on the high street”, the UKIP poster pandered to this xenophobia with it’s queue of “obviously foreign” individuals clearly trying to overwhelm our country.

The irony is that they will inadvertently swung immigration away from Europeans to Asians.

If we don’t bring in workers from elsewhere we have no-one who is capable of, and wants to do, the jobs that are vacant. This is a problem of our own making as our training and education is inadequate - lots of time and effort wasted getting useless bits of paper from higher educational establishments of dubious provenance which then means people become “overqualified” for jobs they could do, but underqualified for anything that they aspire to.

We have long viewed those who are not academically talented as somehow inferior, this underlies a good few of our problems and is one of the things that needs to change.

The country sucks - if I weren’t stuck here I’d emigrate.

3 Likes

EU has never answered the question of the Irish border in the event of no deal. Given preparations for this scenario it will have to say something soon, the clock is ticking.

Surely from the EU point of view the situation is straightforward. If the U.K. decides to leave without a deal there will have to be a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

3 Likes

Yes - and no.

The EU is a techocratic/legal institution so they will, I think, view it as straightforward that there should be border checks - after all if not the Irish border would be an open portal to the rest of the EU.

But the Irish government, which is an EU member after all will not really want a border - nor will the Northern Irish people. Plus, the EU have said they are commited to supporting the GFA and seamless movement in Ireland.

So, it’s all a bit of a mess and there are competing positions and desires.

1 Like

I took this from the site below. It says it all!
British Expats: Say Yes 2 Europe - Remain In the EU
Data shows that the main reason people gave for voting to leave the EU was that they wanted the UK to regain control over EU migration. Well congratulations, that has been achieved and the numbers of migrants from the EU is the lowest since 2012. Oops, just one problem, the number of migrants from Asia is now the highest it’s been since 2004. (EU net migration was 74,000 in the year to the end of June 2018, while non-EU net migration was 248,000.) So congratulations Brexiteers, you’ve gained control of your borders. And even better, 49,000 more Brits moved out than returned. (All statistics are courtesy of the Office for National Statistics not the Mail or Express.)

4 Likes

Coming to this a bit late so apologies for that. I have previously stated that at this time the UK remains broadly divided 50/50 or thereabouts. I don’t detect a move anywhere near a 60/40 which would be defendable by a ‘winning side’. As such all I see with a second referendum, whichever way it fell half the Nation would be against it, which would not make the UK a very good partner in the EU (if it ever has been?)
As we all know almost everything has been speculative and unprovable from both sides - maybe there really are Unicorns out there waiting?. For me I think it is inescapable that the only way to prove anything is to go through with it i.e. suck it and see. Then at least there will be some hard evidence against which to make a determination.
However and despite the provision allowing for countries to make a new application for membership, I just can’t believe that after the viciousness towards the EU (and elsewhere) by the likes of Johnson, Farage etc and their followers, there would be any great rush by the EU to accomodate a reapplication by Britain for entry.
As Christopher Dickey (Foreign Editor of the Daily Beast) said on France24 the other week - ‘why would the EU want them back?’ I can’t think of any reasons either.

As far as I know it is only Leave and BeLeave that have been referred to the NCA, so how you can say ‘As we all know almost everything has been speculative and unprovable from both sides’ I find totally amazing.

Perhaps speculative in the sense that on both sides we’ve seen “estimates” associated with a future state. Clearly it’s only “actuals” which are real and which matter.

Ian Dunt explains the EU’s emergency plan in case of no deal. It isn’t pretty for the UK.

The only plan BJ has ever come up with is how to get his latest love interest in bed with him

Good stuff.

Blindfold them.

Love it !
He must have taken lessons from Trump :nauseated_face:

“Congratulations, Brexiteers, you’ve got control of your borders”

@Jane_Williamson I must return like a dog to its vomit on this hard border on the island of Ireland.

Say an EU citizen from distant Ruritania takes a flight to Dublin, and then a train from Dublin to Belfast, where will his passport be checked before he disappears into the back streets of that divided city?

At Dublin airport he will pass straight through passport control with his Ruritanian EU passport, and will be free to roam anywhere he pleases south of the invisible border. Will his passport perhaps be checked on the train between Dublin and Belfast with all the other commuters and shoppers making their daily journeys?

Or will he join the long queue on the platform at Belfast station waiting to have their travel documents inspected by UK border guards before they hit the pavements and get to work/the shops?

Surely someone has worked out how UK will control the movement of non-Irish EU citizens across the border, if that’s what the Brexiteers so dearly want?

Given that Northern Ireland voted 56 / 44 to remain in the EU, one wonders whether this particular issue is of any real importance. Non Irish EU citizens are free to move across that border at present, so having them continue to do so would not be any change from the current situation, and presumably would not be a problem for at least 56% of the residents of Ulster.
Such continued free travel into the north does not mean that undesired persons could easily enter the rest of the UK from NI, as no doubt the covert surveillance of such movements did not, and has not, ended just because of the existence of the Good Friday Agreement. (Not that the Gov’t would ever admit it of course.)

Interesting, Robert, helps to cast light on the matter for me. It has always bugged me slightly, and I’ve not seen it addressed in the media and wondered why,so thanks for your input.

I am surprised you find specuolating on something that has yet to happen surprising? What else can it be?

I think my quote was referring to the actual increase in immigrants from non EU countries rather than those from Schengen.
Replacing one category with another will do nothing to reduce immigration to the ridiculously unattainable figure of tens of thousands quoted by TM.
Demographics dictate that nearly all European countries need immigration to help with an aging population.
I heard a lighter side on Farming Today this morning.
A nut grower in Kent works with an all British staff throughout the year, with no need for extra help over times of high demand. There is always an exception to prove the rule.

1 Like