Cancellation Period for Mutuelle insurance

As discussed elsewhere, we’re thinking about moving back to a full-cover mutuelle policy from the hospitalisation only policy we have at the moment.

The contract we signed back in September 2018 says:
Le contrat est resiliable par le souscripteur a la fin de chaque periode annuelle d’assurance, moyennant un previs de un mois au moins avant lecheance annuelle (please excuse lack of accents)

I thought I had read that insurance these days is easier to cancel. Is that contract of only annual cancellation still correct/valid? Or can we cancel more speedily? I’d rather talk about this here before talking to our agent. Thanks for any help/advice.

1 Like

My understanding is exactly the same as yours Sue. Mutuelles were the last insurance for which the annual fixed term was removed. Prior to that, I remember house insurance being the same…

However, since I’m in the same boat in wanting to change insurance, I am struggling to find proof of this. Perhaps @fabien is the best person to ask?

2 Likes

why not contact the mutualle that you want to be with and see what they say.After all they have an interest in your money

It changed this year. You need to look at your contract to check how to do it, but generally you send a letter of résiliation by registered post. If you have another one in place they will probably organise it for you.

La loi du 14 juillet 2019 relative au droit de résiliation des mutuelles santé, est officiellement entrée en vigueur le 1er décembre 2020. Grâce à elle, il est désormais possible de changer de complémentaire santé à tout moment après la première année de souscription, sans frais et sans condition.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000038766567/

4 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks very much, people. I’m not that good at finding references except on sites I already know well - like the tax on, for instance :rofl:

@JaneJones @graham Thank you both for this information. I’ve now taken it up with Fabien.

1 Like

Hi @SuePJ (Sue), The law changed in December 2020 so it’s quit recent and it’s now exactly the same as for car & home insurance indeed (although the name of the law is different that’s the same end result).

Just to clarify, you cannot cancel your policy on your own at any time but any other insurance company can take over pretty much anytime as long as the policy is more than 1 year old (within a month notice).

Kind regards,

2 Likes

Thank you very much, @fabien - I shall be in touch!

2 Likes

Thank you Fabien, I’ll be in touch shortly too.

2 Likes

Since you all know so much about Mutuelles, can you make recommendations?

@fabien is the go to guy here for your insurance needs. Click on the INSURANCE tab top left of the page.

2 Likes

thanks