Cannot remember

the exact date that we moved permanently to France!

We are applying for a CdS and they require the exact date, but neither of us can remember this :thinking:
My husband moved here before me, I was going back and forth constantly for another few years.
Any helpful advice please?

Not important if more than five years ago.

1 Like

What does your evidential document bundle tell you?

1 Like

Bank statements showing purchases you made in France around that time ? Tollbooth tickets ? Ferry-crossing, plane or train tickets ?

1 Like

Hi Lily - We had similar problem - Bank statements, medical records, if you have them may help you to pinpoint when you both were permanently installed. If you know the month/year you can get advice via the email helpline or there is a comments box at the end of the application where you could explain that the date given is a close guestamation - I’m sure many others have a similar issue and may already have a better answer for you than this one - good luck.

2 Likes

Lily…

If you have a house purchase document… that is a start. then ask your Property insurers to provide a confirmation that your Contract for a Residence Permanente started at such and such a date.

Amazingly, I had the Insurance contract (from 20 years ago) which showed clearly the date of the change from Holiday Home to Permanent Residence - all clearly written and dated… yippee. Although that doc was in OH’s name so I included the document from the Notaire for the purchase and this gave both our names and the address of the property… so it all linked in.

Income Declaration is another useful tool. When did you make the first Declaration here in France. That will be a great guide along with whatever you have to hand. (presumably it was a joint declaration?)

1 Like

Incidentally, for those who may be wondering and/or dithering… I decided to use the on-line CDS thingy as soon as it appeared.

All done and dusted from my end of things. If it is not needed, nothing wasted but a little of my time. If it is needed, then I am in line with many others.

The main thing for me is - it is done. Either I will or will not be contacted - that is in the lap of the Brexit gods…:crazy_face:

1 Like

Did you keep a copy of your Form France-Individual which you had to get stamped by your local tax office?
That gives the date of you began to live in France permanently at Part B section2 on Page 2 in order to avoid double taxation.

1 Like

(ooh-eeeer not got one of those in my files):thinking:

Frankly, I think they want a date which will be stuck by, through thick and thin. Which is why our “Date” is that on the Insurance contract although we may well have been here some time before we got around to changing the classification… :relaxed:

1 Like

Oh Gawd! I seems we were rather lapse on certain things when we first purchased/moved here permanantly! Our carte vitale’s and tax returns are way out of sync, and different because of different settlement dates (which we cannot remember:crazy_face:)
I really want to get this right, but will they accept months/year and not the day?
Alex travel ticket!?
Timothy, dates have to be stated, but I like your suggestion :smile:
You are all for more organised then me (husband is good, but getting forgetful) so advance apoligies for so many questions :worried:

1 Like

you have to fill in a “day-month-year” thingy…

Surely, you must know when you bought. :thinking: that’s a starting point… after that things should get easier :crazy_face:

An electricity contract is another way of dating… if it shows your French address on the bill and NOT the UK (or wherever)

where did you come from ???

It is the day we cannot remember, can I put a random day, can they check?
Yes, we have the purchase attestation.

UK

Righto, so your property doc gives you the earliest possible date.

Bearing in mind that one can live in Europe for some months before “deciding” to be permanent - I reckon you can come up with your own date… so long as the Tax things will support you. Check your Taxe d’Hab bills. They should show the address as Main or Second residence…

1 Like

Stella,I think I have gone around in a circle :crazy_face:
Following Dans’ advice I will just add explanations in the comments box.
Whats a day here and there :thinking:

1 Like

Sounds like a plan.

At least getting something “done” is a step forward and the powers-that-be can (and will) ask for any other info they need…

All will be well in the end - :hugs:

1 Like

I didn’t say they didn’t, I was just making the point that the French authorities are not going to be too concerned about the actual date if it was than more than five years ago so as long as you know the year and the month. This is just the registration phase, you’ll likely to be asked to produce more documents when/if the applications are processed.

2 Likes

I agree with @tim17
On that basis, if you know you moved in month xxx but can’t remember which day (and it’s over 5 years ago) then I’d be tempted to say the 1st of month xxx +1 which means you are not claiming an earlier period than the actual.
If over 5 years, the actual day/month/year is academic and unlikely to raise eyebrows or cause sucking of teeth :wink:
Just don’t fret about it - the stress will do you no good.

3 Likes

Stella Graham and Tim :hugs::hugs::hugs:
We need a sucking of teeth/shoulder shrug emoji’s :wink:

1 Like

If you have an approximate idea, that vaguely matches banks statements then just write an attestation sur l’honneur that you arrived on x date. This is what we did roughly 3 months after arrival for our application for CPAM (give or take a week or so perhaps) and it is what we use as “the” date.

@Lily

Relax… :hugs: