Car insurance for visiting france

So we are renewing insurance on my car but partner is purchasing his lease car so just rung car insurance company in UK so add us both on to both cars. My partner is coming out to France next week to start on our house renovations and will be coming out for 2 months to start with but when I’ve got quotes anything over 8 days european travel is extortionate , can anyone recommend a good insurance company?

If the car is registered in the U.K. it has to have U.K. insurance and that insurance will allow for 90 days in Europe. No separate insurance is required.

1 Like

Are you insuring with a uk insurance company? We have one car which we insured with LV in July it includes 180 days European cover and we pay extra for breakdown. I can’t remember the exact price but I think it was around £361. Not had to claim so hope they are ok.

1 Like

I use LV, they were the most competitive and offer the 180 days cover. I also heard that Saga are good ( seem to remember they do not have a maximum overseas limit, but may be wrong)

1 Like

Saga still have unlimited time limit but I assume there is a lower age limit (or is there?)

it appears to be 50

I was insured with LV when I moved here with my uk registered rhd car…protected no claims discount…I then went through the process of importing and getting my Carte Grise and then changing to a French insurer…(and then subsequently to car insurance via my French regional bank…,)

I did need to claim several times from LV …once for a windscreen and once for a bump…both times their service was impeccable and when I asked for my no claims certificate from them for my French insurer it was instantly available…I would certainly recommend LV…x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good to know.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I have looked at LV and definitely the best one, saved £400!

2 Likes