Car Insurance

(Anthony Brady) #1

We leave the UK April 2nd in two cars, Teresas the nice car and mine the battered old ten year old golf that works as well as a mobile skip as it does a motor car,a proper builders car.

My Tax runs out March 31st and my Insurance runs out on may 9th.Ill make the tunnel without new Tax :slight_smile:

What are my options for motoring in France,am I better off having my UK insurance extended so that it covers me for 3 months in France (the limit they wil cover me for) and buy myself some time.

Will I have to replate the car in France straight away to be able to insure it and if so is there a French equivalent of a wont be coming back to the UK so replating is not an issue.Its one of those cars thats not worth spending any money on…

Any advice welcomed


(Anthony Brady) #2

Thanks everyone for your answers,sorry I havent replied sooner but Im trying to finish a house renovation aswell as help Teresa organise our move to France.
Ive been in touch with Stuart Collins and have had a quote,a hundred pounds more expensive for third party than our fully comp here in th UK but I suppose that was to be expected.Probably the road i will go down with my car.
Teresa is on top of the coc for both cars so at least Ill be able to get a control technique at some stage :slight_smile:
We think we are just going to replate her car and be done with it.Weve had experience importing my Irish car in to the UK 5 years ago so know what to expect,but in French! :slight_smile:
Thany you all for making the daunting less so

(Jill May) #3

Hi - my policy in the UK was with the AA who I discovered when I went to insure my newly acquired french car are AXA - so no problem in transfer of my no claims bonus - however you do need to bring this with you - it will halve your payments! Incidentally AXA are a very efficient organisation to deal with - Good luck Jill May

(John Axson) #4

Technically you got a month to re register, round here the insurance companies are refusing to insure foreign plated cars for more than a month, just had the problem re registering a Spanish plated van. The police are also stopping right hand drive cars on UK plates. They know the brit rules, so its a pay your money take your choice. Good news is should be easy to register a relatively new golf try to get a c of c from vw in the uk before you leave or its 60 euros over here. 60 euros for a control technique and 100 for the registration and you are legal for 2 years. then for 60 euros every 2 years (control) you can keep the mobile skip for another 10 years

(Suzanne Fitzgerald) #5

Try insuring it with Stuart Collins who give you a 1 year green card (your car has to be in the UK for 1 day a year & you need a UK address). The policy is actually with AXA and you can have repairs done in France (I know as I pranged ours 1 week after getting it!).

Alternatively you can also get your UK plated car insured in France for 1 year although now you have to show you have applied for french plates or are in the process of doing so practically every month (again AXA - I can recommend Jean LaPlanche Pezenas - speaks English)

French MOT is Control Technique. You need a certificate of conformity for your car (try getting it from a UK garage before you leave if you can) There is a post about this in the archive somewhere back in 2010 on Survive France.

We’re still on English plates and as its going back to the UK for a while we won’t bother changing it this year (it’s a LHD).