Card payments via smartphone/tablette

Yes cash is my preferred method of payment every time BUT it's time to modernise .

Adapt or die as they say.

I'm looking to do so in the cheapest way possible to us and I believe this is the way for the moment

I will still accept cash and or cheques don't worry.

Claire, how about the good 'ole Operational System (OS) called CASH? Heh, small money is crying out for being transferred in CASH! Its not a computerthing.

1. Cash is cool!
  2. Cash gives a dam on every highly sophisticated App,
  3. Cash does not need to worry about parasite and other kind of worms.

Finally e.g.: I'm a poor person, so its not too tough to carry cash and if it really gets heavy at a ATM my two buddies from the Rottweiler Mafia are taking care, they did so for centuries and that's for what they where breed.

Yeah, I use one of this 15 y.o. NOKIA "bones" and need to charge it only once a week (that sh*t Apple thing is hanging all the time on some plug). Okay I know, the last is probably not so smart ;-) So after all, clients got used to call, and they don't send me unreadable texts. The rest of that buzz is then like 100 years ago: talking directly from person to person.

Yes I did know that they sent a receipt by email my Oh was thinking of the older client who would be used to new email only technology and would want a receipt.

The card reader plugs into YOUR smart phone or tablet not the clients. You use your tablet or phone as part of the terminal it has the iZettle or SumUp App on it to run the system.

I will let you know as I progress. I am thinking of writing a blog about all this it's become so all consuming over the past few days that a blog might be cathartic

I did realise that they sent confirmation by email but my OH was thinking that the client would want a receipt there and then on the market as per the "normal" card reader type machine.

He says and I think he's probably right that they won't like new technology and will want to have a receipt in their hand, we do live out in a countrified area, a duplicate receipt book will help them feel better.

The reason I am going for a tablet is that My OH and I are going to share the system depending on who is on the bigger market . Incidentally neither OH or myself have a smart-phone so that would be another purchase also but if I have it on a smart-phone I would have to let my OH go off for the day with my phone to have the payment system with him and I would have no phone.

I have ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Lite New but not the most up to date type of tablet however compatible with iZettle I have checked. We just can't afford a new iPad or other top of the line stuff. I have ordered an unlocked 3G dongle also and will get the 3G sim from orange when I have the tablet.

Small steps forward.

Hi Claire

I understood that the machine sent an email or an sms as a receipt. I asked one of my clients, who usually writes a cheque if she would use it and she said that she didn't have a cell phone. Great. I probably need to do more market research. I imagine at Christmas time it will really be useful.

Unfortunately the banks seem to be a little slow in catching up with the latest technology here although mine, Banque Populaire, has said something will be happening this year. Though I am certain it will be more expensive.

I think I may have to be brave and "just do it"

I can’t speak for iZettle but SumUp will send a receipt by either email or text/sms to the mobile specified by the client. All you need is a compatible mobile phone Android 4.3 or higher, no need for a tablet, as long as you have a phone signal, it should work.

Good luck.

Rob

Hi Helen ,

It's all very confusing isn't it. The few reports I have indicate it works well. I think we are still in the early stages of this. I asked about the system generally in December on a couple of forums including a craft forum in French but got no replies at all so the fact that a few people are commenting now is a step forward .

As for the screen for iZettle the smartphone /tablet is your screen. Yesterday I made a decision and ordered the Tablet, cover-case/stand for said tablet and an unlocked 3G dongle/clé, when they are here and I have verified that I can get my head around them I will sort the 3G with Orange and get the iZettle card reader done.

The other small thing that raised it's head was the giving a receipt as OH pointed out as this is new and not many of our clients will have seen it before they are going to want the classic card receipt thermo paper receipt especially the older clients. Well the printer for these things is yet another purchase, so we have decided as we don't want this to be a mega investment , kind of defeats the object, I will get a duplicating receipt book.

The whole kit and kaboodle will go in a bag for which ever one of us ends up using it .

Small steps forward.

Hi Claire

I have also been considering a card payment system as I also am being asked more frequently at the market if I accept cards.

I looked at iZettle but got nervous about the lack of screen on the machine and also didn't like the fact that they wanted my bank details before I had something concrete in my hand. I have not investigated the sum up one yet but had seen it advertised and it was rated quite well by comparison with iZettle and payleven. They will probably end up being much the same I am sure.

I was also wondering if it would be a better idea to have a completely separate bank account which operates the card system so that errors could be easily and quickly identifiable.

FYI paypal mobile is not available in France.

Sum up works for me as I have to visit clients and sometimes I prefer to receive secure payment!

Good luck with iZettle.

You would be surprised Barry.

I get asked more and more often and last week actually lost my 1st sale because I only take cash or cheque. We don't sell food so that's probably why I get asked more often now.

I feel the system will be a useful extra not my main payment system which is why something that doesn't cost me until I use it really appeals.

Thank you for that Robert I have looked at SumUp it's very competitive I am thinking iZettle at the moment as the unit is free I realise the commission is higher than SumUp's but to get my 79€ back I would have to take an awful lot of transactions and I don't think I will do so.

Glad to know the actual system works well.

I always take cash to markets , I presume no one takes CB . I've never heard of Paypal mobile, I am registered but never use Paypal as I don't like their terms of service and I feel the system is not secure . I am quite relaxed about the reluctance to accept CBs it is another charge for the business.

Hi
I use SumUp. They charge 1.75%. The unit costs 79€ but you can find promotion codes online offering 20€ discount. There’s no line rental.

They’re UK based but you need to sign up for the French system. You need a siret number to use it over here.

Customer service is excellent in French and English.

I never leave home without it.

Good luck.
Rob

In the past 20years here not many but the demand is increasing I am getting asked if I take CB more and more frequently in the last couple of years.I guess not many vendors offer it for the same reason I have refused in the past, the outlay and monthly charge is too much . This new system is much more affordable.

How many people that do markets or craft fairs use a card machine anyway? I did our weekly market this morning for example and there's not one person who uses one there. We do in our shop, but that's the difference, it's not the market.