Carte de sejour . A very long wait

Perhaps then your Prefecture is not as able as ours. We put our applications in the post box outside the Prefecture and 2 weeks later we were given an appointment for interview and fingerprint taking and were then told we would get a letter to go and pick up our cards in a few weeks. We were amazed. We didn’t have a bundle of paperwork because both our applications fitted neatly into an A4 sized envelope, along with relevant documents. Good luck with your application.

Thank you. Our prefecture did have telephone booking but changed it to" send your papers in by post" just before we applied… It’s a waiting game.

Ours was by phone but then changed to just send in papers. Changes in deadlines have not helped, was March as I recall now end of Oct. Maybe they think there will another deadline on the horizon?

We put ours in folders which were just a bit too big to put in the Prefecture postbox, so we handed them into the handyman and all went well!

Myself and a couple I know applied in January at Angouleme, receipt from post to say it’s been received but nothing more.
I imagine a room full of dossiers somewhere.

must get my lenses checked… I read “dossers” :rofl:

A lot of British in Charente so I suppose its a mammoth task. When you know people who have only had a two or three
Months delay you wonder whats going on. It’s the talk of leaving without a deal that’s worrying without a CDS.

I’m sure they won’t kick us out, especially as we prop up the rural areas as so quiet.
After 15 years in France I’m ready for a change so whatever happens I will take it in my stride, I would prefer the Uk gets a deal but I don’t think the EU ever wanted to give us any thing decent and TM was willing to take what they offered.

1 Like

After 15 years they can’t kick you out… and why should the EU make any concessions since it is the UK that wants to leave, what they’ve offered is perfectly fair as they have to protect Ireland.

It is remarkable the difference between prefectures.

1 Like

actually, the French Govt has already outlined the 2 scenarios of UK leaving Europe and what it will mean for us Brits here in France.
With a deal
Without a deal

The link is on the forum somewhere - I’ll take a look…

Whatever happens - all Brits will need to apply for a CdS whether they have one already or not…

I’m not holding my breath! If the UK continues to annoy people the way they are currently doing then there’s nothing to stop France from changing the “outline”. The UK government seems to have forgotten we exist so I can’t see them fighting hard on our behalf.

No Jane - but France and the others are very aware that we (abandoned Brits) are unable to do/say/alter anything that UK is doing.

I do not think they will thrash us for the stupidity of others - goes against everything France stands for (in my view).

I thought it said tossers.

I’ve no faith in the UK gov at all. We are, I feel at the mercy of the French Gov.
Rather that than the other way around.All

The talk is for EU citizens in the UK, not us.

France’s priority will be French citizens. They will treat us fairly as long as the UK treats French citizens in the UK fairly. The outlines the French Government have produced are clear that it all depends on reciprocity… and I’m not convinced the current UK government will hold their side of the bargain. I just don’t have your optimism right now.

Jane, we Brits in France have already been shown fair-play.

After UK decided not to adopt/sign/whatever the EU thing about choosing Inheritance Rules for Land of one’s Birth. It was thought to be unfair to Brits living in France. After much discussion and debate… France amended their rules to allow all Residents in France, born outside France, to make the choice (not just folk born in those EU countries which had signed-up).

Not a huge concession as France still gets the inheritance tax… so a cheap gift.

And some! At St Lô where lay-out is mainly ‘open-plan’ we spied several rooms all lined from floor to ceiling with shelves full of cardboard dossiers (no dossers in line of sight but may have been snoozing with their dog-on-a-string behind the files).

Dossiers also spotted on trestle tables and stacked on desks. Much going and fro-ing of staff of different categories carrying dossiers from one room to another, with people like us craning necks to see if one was coming our way.

But all carried out in an unhurried way and with French civility and good humour.

The machine does work, but at it’s own measured pace, in which the role humans and humanoids can best fulfil is that of compliant and well-greased (ideally with graisse de canard or graisse d’oie) cog. :yum:

Personally, I am glad that I can leave my small estate to whomever I please and not be restricted by French Inheritance Laws. :hugs:

My wife and I applied, by snail mail, for our respective cards at the beginning of February 2019, to the Prefecture in Clermont Ferrand (63). I have literally just received the summons to come to the Prefecture in a week’s time with my documents, plus 10 years worth of avis d’impôt (which they didn’t ask for at the beginning, but hmm, French bureaucracy, whatever). I’m applying for a permanent resident card as I’ve lived in France for more than 20 years. As yet, my wife has heard nothing with regard to her own application. Presumably, as she was applying for a 5 year EU card, the Prefecture is waiting to see how things will pan out with Brexit. The dumb thing is that from this year on, she’s eligible to apply for a permanent resident card, having now been in France for 10 years.