Carte de Sejour - what's the latest?

I don’t want to just visit her. I wanted to be able to move to Germany as an EU citizen, not taking German nationality.

will this be your next recipe Jane? image avec sauerkraut mmmmmm

1 Like

Not a sauerkraut fan.
There is a wonderful restaurant in Munich where you can have a plate of pork, duck and schnitzel if you can’t make up your mind!

1 Like

I know it’s none of my business Jane but I just don’t get this. You say you want to move to Germany but in reality how likely is this say within the next five years and how will your husband cope with another language to learn?

Would you have been in any different position pre-brexit? I believe that Germany has always had the requirement for all foreign nationals, EU or not, to apply for residency if you intend to stay there. And doesn ‘t their residency (not citizenship) include a requirement for basic language skills?

Germany has always been much tighter than France or Britain towards other EU citizens moving there. Until you have your residency certificate you really can’t do much at all, not even rent a flat.
I really can’t imagine living in a foreign country without a basic understanding of the language and in my experience language learning has far less to do with intelligence than making an effort. It’s a case where the more you put in the more you get out.
Some of you might find this interesting if you’ve not yet seen it.

although i have been through (successfully) the nationality process in nouvelle aquitaine, i was about to add that being deaf did allow my french wife at the interview to re-pose questions _ which i still answered in french; as this apparent change is important to note; participation in french life is far more important than indicated, so yes clubs associations are important - even art classes - and a couple of samples of french projects is no bad idea;
i certainly did not know the regional differences that apply, another important thing to note;
well worth the placement david, well done!

(yes apologies yet again for no caps etc;, still one finger one hand working!)

1 Like

My concern was if and when I become too frail to look after ourselves here we would move to Germany.
My daughter is fluent and she is married to an Austrian and the boys are bi-lingual.
We already have CdeS here.
Unfortunately this is not now available to me and I feel mightily peeved.

I really don’t understand this. There is a straightforward german family reunion visa for both EU and non-EU nationals joining family in Germany. You would have had to apply for the EU version pre-Brexit. Now you will have to apply for the non-EU version. The process and requirements are pretty much the same. So I don’t get why you are saying you can no longer plan to move to Germany if necessary.

2 Likes

unfortunately jane, not something your fellow countrymen gave two hoots about _wasn’t it ids who labelled
uk expat pensioners as rich liberty takers with our swimming pools etc; or words to that effect; as we have seen a bit of spite and created envy goes a long way in today’s world;

Because I didn’t know about that.

Good grief, Jane, have you been worrying unnecessarily for all these years for the want of a bit of a research?! I hope this eases your mind.
Izzy x

2 Likes

Only since Brexit, but this is not the first time I have mentioned this on SF.

@Jane_Williamson to be fair, it’s only now as we get closer to feeling the effect of the WA that it becomes clearer. Before now, there could have been changes which affected the final outcome. That seems more unlikely now so people won’t have to be dealing so much with imponderables and possibilities…

3 Likes

Why don’t you all join the Remain in France Together (RIFT) Facebook group (and other similar ones which offer proper infirmation)?

I think a good number of members here are already members of RIFT.

I do hope you are not suggesting that the standard of information on SF is of poor quality!
I can assure you that there are many here who have considerable experience to share :wink:

7 Likes

Why?

No doubt some people who are concerned about their status are members anyway, or of the other group whose name I forget. But generally immigration issues are only a small part of this forum.

1 Like

the last place i would think of using as a reliable resource would be facebook

3 Likes

Your loss. There are some great groups on Facebook.

2 Likes

There may be great groups on FB but actually using FB groups is a total pain in the arse for anyone who is used to halfway decent forum software like VBulletin or Vanilla. There is precious little structure, searching is appalling, finding previous post all but impossible. FB Groups are just designed to maximise the number of adverts that can be pushed in front of the viewer on their smartphone screen.

3 Likes