Carte sejour During the transition period

Does anybody know about the process for Brits coming during the transition period?

Here is my situation:

I have got a rental agreement that starts in April. When I arrive, am I to visit my local prefecture or do I wait for the updated website.Vous êtes<br />britannique

Will this updated website from the french government allow me to apply for a new carte Sejour without going to the prefecture? or is this just for people already resident in France?

I want to be legally resident before the end of the transition period, I just don’t know where to start. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:slight_smile: )

You will not be able to apply for a CdS until the official online portal opens. Once you have arrived you will need to make sure that you have everything in place to support your application so you can apply as soon as you become eligible.

Thanks Dan,

Do you mean no applications are accepted at the prefectures at the moment? or do you mean all applications during transition period must be made through the portal?

The most important thing is to ensure you are living here legally ie meeting all the conditions that appny to your status (healthcare, iminimum income, whatever). There is plenty of time to apply for a carte de sejour, you don’t need to do it the minute you arrive. The deadline for applications is July 2021. Get here, get yourself sorted, and by then the picture will be clearer.

It’s not having a cds that makes you legally resident. Correctly exercising freedom of movement makes you legally resident, and if you can prove that you were doing this before 31.12.20 then you cds application will be accepted.

2 Likes

All applications will need to be made online, the time that you could apply for a CdS UE through your prefecture is long gone. You will need to have proof of three months of stable residence before you apply and by the time you have reached that point, and have the paperwork to prove it, the online portal will be open.

1 Like

Agree with the others, concentrate on the other aspects of moving here and wait for the portal to go live. You will have until July 2021 to get your formal CdS.

So here’s a question, when the portal goes live in July will they start issuing cards immediately?

Why would they not? I imagine they want a steady flow of people collecting them from their prefectures, rather thn hold them all back and then suddenly open the floodgates.

Don’t forget that they will already be able to start processing the cards for people who applied through the ‘no deal’ portal.

1 Like

When the portal goes live in July 2020 for folk to use… they will deal with those as they arrive… but it will take a while.

Those dossiers which have already been received via the old portal will be issued asap from now on… there is work to do and they will be hard at it… but it will take time.

That’s really why I asked the question, it would seem odd that they waited until July to start processing existing applications.

Fair enough Tim :relaxed: :relaxed:

( I thought I had said all about it before, somewhere on the forum… but there’s no harm in repeating it )

If I might make a suggestion, it would be to go to your Mairie, and ask if they would register you as resident in the commune. Take along a copy of your rental contract (hopefully it is for more than 3 months). I don’t know whether the Mairie issue any kind of receipt for that, or an “attestation de résidence”, or something, Stella might know more. At least that way, you might have some evidence to show when you arrived/settled in France, just in case you get asked to show it when applying for your CDS when the system comes online.

Fwiw my mairie said No they don’t do that any more. In fact they did, after a bit of persuasion, but then I know the mayor quite well so it was just a case of getting past the secretary.
Worth asking but be aware that it’s not automatic

1 Like

Yes, that was kind of my impression too, but you never know you’re luck…

Also probably a good idea to get your name on utilities bills asap. Tho you probably would in any case

We were lucky enough last year to get our Mairie to sign an attestation of residence in preparation for the CDS applications - some do, some don’t. Worth an ask.

Evidence of being registered with the Impots and an attestation that you have health cover seem to be two of the key bits of evidence they want, plus evidence of being able to support yourself

Much less concerned about local taxes or evidence of property ownership/rental as they don’t prove residence.

Our dossier (myslef, my wife and our 26 year old son resident year for 22 years) has been “kicked down the road” yet again, although we have been told by the people at the prefecture that it will be processed automatically and we’ll get a titre de sejour when the government has decided what that will be.

Except if you only arrived duing 2020, so you won’t submit your first income declaration until May 2021 and you probably won’t get your first avis until July 2021 so newomers can’t wait for that for their first application.

My list of what to provide specified edf bills, property taxes etc, I know prefectures vary

Not about providing your first income declaration, it is about proving that you have registered with the Impot (which you can do as soon as you arrive on a permanent basis) as evidence of your intent to reside permanently. The same with the attestaion about having health cover.