Carte Vitale

I think you're right Theresa!

We have never been asked for a translation of any documentation since we moved here permanently in 2009. In fact got our carte vitales within 2 weeks of taking all the documentation in to the prefecture in Niort. Also no probs with registering our car and trike here either - got carte gris' back within a few days. My husband has both applied for his blue parking card and his french invalidity card as well. All done within a reasonable time and the lady who did my husband's medical was lovely! We live in Deux Sevres - so obviously it seems to be each department has their personal preferences and interpretations!

I have never once had to use a sworn translator since moving here in 2007. Gov departments have either understood the document or they have accepted my translations (I'm not a traductrice assermentée)......has there been a change in the law?

There is a sworn translator that clients of mine have used who is apparently on SFN too.I am not in touch with her directly but SFN and non SFN clients recommend her - Sarah Wafflard-Walker

We had to do this recently, we used this company for translation: AB TRADUCTION, 89, rue Solférino, 59000 LILLE Tél. +33 (0)3 20 57 70 71 Fax +33 (0)3 20 57 83 84 info@ab-traduction.com www.ab-traduction.com It was efficient and cost 119.50 euros for two certificates. However the handwriting on the birth certificates was so hard to read we had to send them a typed version - since we know what they say - so it is not truly a translation of the certificates!

We have recently had to register my mother-in-law with the CPAM as she now lives permanently in France. It was necessary to provide a translation of her certificates and for the Charente we were told that we could only use officially registered translators. The CPAM gave me a list of names. The person we used is in Nersac, near Angouleme. He was efficient, helpful and not too expensive. I suggest you ask at your CPAM for the list of recognised translators for the Charente Maritime.

I appreciate the translation by recognised personnel is a relatively new requirement( I understand since 2012) but actually the CPAM has always demanded a translation. It was just that when we came 14 years ago, you could do your own!

Hi David, having spent a fair bit of time translating the French handwriting into comprehensible French I came up with this:

http://www.courdecassation.fr/rubriqueexpertsjudiciaires and have found someone listed near Cognac and I am awaiting a reply from him. I will also try your link. The online companies are quoting from 25€ to £75 in the UK. We tried over 2 years ago and basically gave up and have paid for the minor stuff but this operation I have just had is a whole new ball game so we do need the Carte Vitale.

Here's the link to the annuaire of traducteurs assermentes:

http://www.annuaire-traducteur-assermente.fr/

Do shop around - prices and ease of service vary from translator to translator and/or agency. This agency look reasonable (we saved their détails for as and when we get round to it) but not having used them can't comment on service

http://traduction.juridique.free.fr/

Does anyone have any info on the latest re translation of birth certificates? I have asked RSI which regulation/law/section of the code civile applies and am still awaiting response! That said - no further forward with Cartes Vitales either but as we haven't needed a doctor yet we're keeping fingers x'd.