Carte Vitale

Celeste I think we get your point about not upsetting the applecart !

but to come back to having to pay specific court listed translators to translate birth certificates - why should this be necessary as my name and childs name is the same in English and French as is the date of birth and place of birth so why should we be forced to waste money on this ?

Steve

Just a footnote to this Brian. When I was asked for a traduction assermenté of our birth certificates, I wrote back and asked under what law or regulation. The fonctionaire in question ignored this and just repeated her request. It meant more to me to actually get the Carte Vitale this century than argue with her, so I stumped up the fee for the translations and got the Carte Vitale. Incidentally, although Ireland's certificates are now fully computerised, they are still only in Irish and English, although our passports are in Irish, English and French!

Steve, that is the beauty of it, they do not refer to specific documents but there are words like 'cooperation', etc that for me, working as I do with treaty law, are manna from heaven. Also, the functionaries do not want to read a treaty, they tend to know they are screwed if they tangle with EU law, so back down fast. Do not go out looking for things about translations, etc, that just muddies the water so nobody has included them.

As for the law from last year that is supposed to have come into force on 1 May, never found it. I have looked and looked when something similar came up before. French laws are very accessible so it would surprise me if is little more than a jobsworth's invention turned into rumour that did the rounds.

One little point though, my 1948 birth certificate should not be covered BUT the UK is one of the few that has not introduced EU languages on the various certificates for birth, death, marriage and so on but ironically one can apparently ask for a decree nisi in any EU language if divorcing. Doh!

We use different family names, the ones acquired when we were born, but our children have double-barreled both names. The three names drive officialdom nuts. Girls both born in England but bearing a Swiss passport grinds them down (they have UK too, but we ain't tellin'). My OH owns the house and has half the bills, plus although we do the same work by classification and sometimes in content, as AEs we are differently classified because the law does not strictly speaking allow two AEs at one residential address. After years of working with international human rights treaties I can usually dip my finger in and pull out the right one quickly and also get the stuff in small print that puts everything in highly legalistic and confusing language. I have not paid for anything like translations here, do not intend to and have a dossier ready to slap on anybody's desk if they want as much as a single word translated. I am a mercenary bas**rd when it comes to not bowing to bureaucratic dictats that THEY cannot back up with specific laws, decrees and regulations. If they were to get their way then we would spend weeks running around for bits of paper they then probably will not even look at properly.

Brian / Catharine

i have looked at these pages and many other eu commission sites and so far have not come across any specific reference to documents being accepted without translation.

anybody else able to clarify ? would save us all a lot of cash and hassle ......

Steve

For starters look here: http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/institutional_affairs/treati...

Then chuck the Single European Act in: http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/institutional_affairs/treaties/treaties_singleact_en.htm

and round it off with the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2010:083:0389:0403:EN:PDF

Even if they do not believe a word you say, it will worry them to death. Arm yourself with both your own language, for instance English, and French versions. Put the whole pile on the table (French ones that is) and say "Please read them whilst I am here" in your best French.

Brian??

me too

so far have had 4 birth certs trannied at 35 euro each !

Where can I find this on the internet? It would be so useful to have a copy to wave.

Always works, put a copy under their noses across a desk and not a shrug in sight!

like :)

I was referring to the fact that any original official European documents have to be accepted - i.e there is no need or requirement for translation - official or otherwise. I wouldn't like to comment on your situation without knowing a bit more...but I'm sure if you can add some details, some one on SFN will be able to help. We hope! x

Catherine , what exactly does the act mean in terms of the carte vitale? as i have a dossier under treatment and have chosen UMCAPI for the healthcare element who have written saying they are dealing with it but so far have not actually confirmed that they will issue the card and as my other half needs some hospital treatment plus daughters due for dental work i am beginning to feel worried about paying for all this without knowing what will be reimbursed ..............

Thanks

Steve

I am very nearly there with the RSI after nearly two years of arguing about the translation. I finally quoted the single European act at them (thank you Mr Milne) and I have now got an attestation for my daughter - hopefully the magic green card will follow.

I will keep you posted.

Hi Roger. I was never able to obtain a satisfactory explanation as to why I had to provide translations, but someone here on SFN thinks that the regulations changed last May, and many of us who applied in June were asked for the translations, whereas those of us who applied prior to May were not.

The birth name/married name can be a bit tricky too. In Ireland (not sure about UK and other countries), your name does not change legally when you get married but it has been the custom to adopt the husband's surname over the years. I found it easier to go "double-barrelled"! :-D

Oh forgot you are a Woman......If Your passport is in your married name then you will need a copy of your birth certificate and your marriage certificate, here in France you hold all official documentation in your birth name. Never needed any official translation though.

Hi Elaine. We had to provide translated birth certificates and marriage certificate. My understanding now is that you must also provide passport size photographs, but I think these are requested after your application has been approved. The translations had to be done by a traducteur assermenté. There's a member here on SFN who does them and I used her so can highly recommend her. Her name is Sarah Wafflard - http://www.survivefrance.com/profile/SarahWafflardWalker

Thanks Roger … Fingers crossed!

Electricity or water or phone (Fixe) bill as proof of residence, RIB in your name, passport, S1 and The form signed by your Preferred Médecin Traitante