Cat deterrents

Yep or jeys fluid which hangs around a bit longer, still using it now as some owners won’t do what they should. Jeys soakes into the tarmac so is there for a few weeks.

1 Like

Thanks guys - might try the Jeyes, because it’s sporadic rather than regular. I’m reasonably sure it’s dog because it looks like dog poo & is really quite a bit bulkier than I would expect from a fox - probably not far off human-size.

You wont get foxes either after that

Christ this takes me back, Jayes fluid… I remember as a child around the pheasant and partridge pens the game keeper sploshing gallons of it around the fences. He also had what I remember was called a gibet ??? Basically foxes, magpies, jays and crows he’d shot or trapped and hung out on the fences. As a young kid I found this to be a great source for maggots for fishing. My Father used Jayes fluid for the drains and for sterilizing the green house. Never seen it in France or Germany. Though I’d recognize it in an instant smells nice.

Would Jeyes fluid sloshed around it in a circle, protect a hen house from foxes?

They work well here.

Well, we bought the sonic alarm that Stella posted, we sloshed Jeyes fluid across the end of the drive and then we sent a message around through the village whatsapp group asking about stray/strange dogs than might be putting a deposit on our lawn.

And it stopped (the whatsapp seemed the most effective!).

But now one of our alarms seems to have been stolen and now the pooing pest is back. I’ve just ordered a wildlife camera from Amazon to see a) what’s doing it b) whether there’s an owner around at the same time. We’ve also had random things broken in our garden from time to time, and I wonder if someone occasionally wanders in and randomly damages things. One of the 2 sonic alarms I installed also appears to have been stolen. This is Oxfordshire BTW, not France.

that certainly sounds like human intervention to me… well, the theft bit… :roll_eyes:
Perhaps a chat/whatsapp now talking about the theft and damage… surely neighbours need to know there’s someone stealing/damaging locally.

and, just a thought… a word with your local plod (if such still exists)… your experiences might not be isolated…

1 Like

This looks like it will become as enthralling as the Linky story was… Do please keep us updated especially if you get pictures :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will update if anything exciting happens.

1 Like

The camera will reveal all… But you may find you need some more human bait. If some devious little … has pinched one of your sonic devices. Lots of videos on Youtube of neighbours being naughty whilst denying it publicly.

Citrus fruit peel scattered around your gardens, drives etc will deter felines from crapping or digging. I had five cats at one time and can say from experience that this works, also talcum powder scattered but unfortunately you lose it when it rains.

We do not have a cat but one (I think it is a cat because we live in the middle of a village, so probably not a wild thing) comes into our garden on a regular basis and pees against the outdoor furniture covers. This, despite having a 1.8m wall enclosed garden and two dogs with cloth ears indoors. :scream_cat:

Every morning I use the puppy stain-away spray on the (light Oxford) covers where marked and heave a gallic shrug because I love all animals. And at least it isn’t a snake.
:smiley_cat:

I’ll try the citrus peel today!

1 Like

The season has started here for oranges, clementines etc so plenty of peel to choose from. It will obviously deteriorate in time but the oils in the skin part do work, just make sure you don’t spread it too thin to start with and what better excuse than to eat a lot.

Thank you @Shiba I eat a grapefruit each morning, so may take me a little while to accumulate enough peel but I will start by scattering it about the furniture and see how it goes.

I don’t mind if he enters my garden and pees against the palm trees. I am fine with nature.
:palm_tree::palm_tree:

I think the best cat deterrent is not to abuse other members on SF…
I’ll get my :coat:

2 Likes

Put some citronelle oil in a spray bottle with some water. Spray it on the area the cat is peeing. Worked for me.
Izzy x

1 Like

If a smelly male cat came into my garden persistently, he would get videoed and then trapped by me to see if he has an ID. If no ID, and is in good health, said cat is castrated, rendering him virtually odourless, and then released.

1 Like