CdS being obtained by non-resident second home owners

I do not know what the fee is to replace this card but that may be correct. Unfortunately we no longer get the same advantages as EU citizens. I doubt whether the withdrawal agreement covered replacement cards although you never know, but if it did not, I suppose France can decide what fee to charge.
It would be interesting to know.
As Stella says it may be covered by insurance.

@fabien

Please can we pick your brains about Household Insurance (whatever) covering replacement costs for stolen documents (eg CdSejour) ??

Have you asked one of the 4 organisations set up to help UK nationals get their WARP cards? I believe they are still in operation until the end of next week

. They might be most likely to know as this has surely happened before!

Or failing that apply for a new one online as the WARP portal still open, and that might trigger someone to respond!!

1 Like

@Stella 
I get more concerned about the hassle and complications of replacing driving licence or CdSejour if they are lost, dropped wallet syndrome. How do you go about getting replacement ones.

I’ve posted a link saying how to go about asking for replacement CdS

Driving L 
 there is a section online (ANTS) I think
 for asking for replacement due to loss/theft
 perhaps someone has more info.

If there’s a cost of 200+ € to replace a CdS
 mine is staying safely at home

ANTS has an online section for replacing lost and stolen licences, and in many areas you are able to go physically to your préfecture to get replacement documents. In this case it seems that that is not a possibility. There is also France Services in many areas that can help, for example if you have lost your Carte Vitale.

No different really from loosing documents in any country. It is a pain in the neck!

(And France being France, it is always useful to have your dossier up to date! A paper and an electronic folder with copies/scans of all your critical documents, showing the numbers, dates and so on)

@Stella , can’t find the link.
And aren’t you required to carry your CdS on your person.
Like having driving licence when driving a vehicle, so I keep my licence in the glove compartment
(that term ages me!)

We can be asked to show it
 from October
 I shan’t need it locally but will obviously be prepared and have it stapled to my person
 if going further afield :rofl: :rofl:

Incidentally, yonks ago I was warned against leaving important stuff in the car

I totally agree @Stella , it beggars belief that the process can be misunderstood. It’s VERY clear and concise.

1 Like

Jane today i told him the name of one group to contact called RIFT.

He has to replace all his other cardsas well unfortunatly.

I will pass your message on to him thanks very much

Télécharger BlueMail pour Android

Having done a bit of digging it looks as if my cynicism was not misplaced! It is nothing different from existing options to apply for a visa from home country, and them change this to a CdS. Which has always been a perfectly feasible option for most people as long as they meet financial threshold. And yes, as a non-European people will have to pay for visa, and then pay for CdS. Nothing new there either.

And doesn’t help solve the issue of young people who want to spend a year of so wandering around Europe,

I saw something about this.
From what I can make out, what is new is that you can now renew online, whereas before you had to go to the prefecture.
I cannot see that there is a new type of visa or a new type of CdS. Just a new process for renewal which does seem like a good move.

I realise completely @JaneJones & @Sandcastle that there isn’t a new type of visa - one needs a long-stay visitors visa (VLS-?) but how I read it was that the actual CdS was different, being designed for vistors and definitely not residents. I wasn’t aware that such a thing existed before but I will bow to everyone’s superior knowleadge on this since I clearly don’t know everything in this area and some of you have had cause to research it more closely than I have :smiley:

But not one set up specifically for entitled British people, merely part of the overall Government policy to move things online :rofl:

Don’t forget that many Americans, Australians, Japanese and other nationalities also visit France for extended stays, in the same way that UK citizens do, and require titres de sĂ©jour “visiteur” . Here is an image from the internet, of a one year carte de sĂ©jour Visiteur issued in 2006.

Thank you @Sandcastle - I never cease to learn new things on this site :smiley:

I had assumed that what regular visitors did was to get a new visa every year. Given that those visas appear to cost 99 euros a pop and the visitor’s CdS costs 225 euros, do you happen to know what the advantages are in getting a visitor’s CdS? Does it convey more entitlement than a visa does? (Genuine question as I haven’t the foggiest and I have a friend who is hoping to spend extended period in Frnace over the next few years
)

As far as I know you do not get a choice. You apply for a visa, and depending on what kind of visa you are issued with and perhaps what your long term intentions are, you either do or do not need to obtain a carte de séjour on arrival. No doubt there are criteria on which authorities make the decision and maybe you can influence this by what you write in your application but I do not know much more than that. My impression is that the visas valant titre de séjour are intended as one offs and not for people who want this on an ongoing basis, and titres de séjour are potentially renewable (although I do not know if all tds are renewable). But I could be wrong about some or all of this, it is simply what I have assumed from comments I have heard from Americans we know who seem to have endless fun renewing their cards.

EDIT I think it is not EITHER 99€ for a visa OR 225€ for a CdS. I believe you pay for the visa in any case because you need that to enter France. If you need a CdS once you have arrived, you pay for that separately. There may also be a fee for converting the “visa VTS” into the “TS”, I do not know, but I believe there is a process that has to be carried out. You do not simply arrive, end of story, I believe you have to report your date of arrival and your presence to the authorities within a short time of arriving.

I agree, I also understand that there is a ‘taxe de sejour’ that you need to pay of just over €200, so the €99 isn’t the end of the story!

Interesting! Thank you both!

Would those be residency cards or visitor cards @sandcastle ? I’m trying to get a hold on what visitor cards involve and I certainly know from other sources that Americans and presumably other third party nationals have to renew their residence cards on a ridiculously frequent basis
 Is there not the concept of 5 year and 10 year cards for 3rd party nationals who are resident here? I must admit I thought there was