Changes in speed limits

I already do. Luckily I use a GPS speed display so don’t need to look down. I believe that concentration is a major factor in road safety and so many drivers these days are cocooned from the road in their automatic, climate controlled, super comfortable modern cars that they are probably as interested in what is playing through their sound system as what’s happening on the road. Add in a lower limit that requires even less concentration plus the need to regularly monitor your speed doesn’t sound good news to me. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, I love(d) driving in the unlimited Autobahns, not because I could drive fast but because I could drive at the speed that suited me, my car and the conditions without a constant, artificial need to be peering at the dashboard.

Here here!

Just home from my NY holiday in Les Landes, found it very difficult to stick to the 90 limit on those long straight roads so I can only sympathise. As far as I can see, new limits come in on 1/7/18.

Got in the other night to find a souvenir of the trip, clocked at 60 going into Roquefort, had slowed down but not quickly enough :frowning :frowning:

Looks like there may be some mobilisation and protests planned for spring.

Take a look at the map and see if there is info for your area. Nothing in our department for the moment but I am considering contacting a neighboring department to see whats being organised.

I feel stongly enough about this issue to join in protest marches (drives) etc; What about anyone else, how do you feel about taking part in your area ?

https://www.40millionsdautomobilistes.com/flash-actu/80km-h-les-usagers-de-la-route-sunissent/

We were having a meal at our local restaurant this lunchtime only to find a lot of agitated people going on about President Macron and the way that he his increasing indirect taxation, i.e speed restrictions and the increased revenue from the many more cameras that will take advantage of the reduction, also the large increase in fuel duty on diesel.
We are talking about rural France and the fact that we have not seen so much anger in people since we moved here 14 years ago.
They are not happy with the new President !!!

Speeding fines are not “indirect taxation”. If you choose to break the law you must be prepared to take the punishment. Yes, les flics can be sneaky (very sneaky…) with their temporary speed cameras but it’s the motorist’s choice to assume that they are not there & push their speed.

The increase in diesel duty is an inevitable consequence of the need for governments (not just in France) to make that means of propulsion unattractive, along with all internal combustion engines. There are very necessary measures to control climate change to implement & a pressing need to reduce particulant pollution - witness the smogs in Paris.

There is a split camp here… and with good reason…

Over the past few months, we have seen many, many deaths on our local roads…
sometimes drink is involved, but more often it is simply excess speed on bends and/or speeding in bad road conditions.

A lot of folk here welcome anything that might make folk slow down… or at least really consider whether or not their speed is appropriate…

its 0.02 not 0.2

its zero tolerance. often for some reasons its published as 0.2 but it is a zero tolerance if you’ve had a drink its dont drive and cooked food should if cooked properly should not have any alcohol left in it as it burns away when cooked. Just had a swedish guest and had this debate over if it is too low or now and over 90% of swedish people believe its the best thing going. no more I only had one as one is one too many.

great they took away their licences and seized their cars. maybe both got crushed and no insurance will pay. Driving Wednesday night early thursday morning in the heavy rain and dark on the auto route. doing 100km in th 130 110 in the rain. saw the car coming up and knew they were bombing it. the car was past me so fast it was gone before I knew it. so fast i didnt even see driver or car make.

The link from the ETSC dated december 2017 states 0.2 grammes per litre.

no idea we just had a lady staying with us from sweden her brother is a police officer and she said 1 drink and you cannot drive even a small one. she stated even the panache at 1% had the possibility of putting you over the limit.

This is a swedish site that tells you how long you have to wait based on your weight and how much you drink. I put in my weight with 125 cl panache at 1% it tells me i have to wait 1 hour at least. with 0.09 in my system

http://alkoholförbränning.se/

the site is swedish.

no idea we just had a lady staying with us from sweden her brother is a police officer and she said 1 drink and you cannot drive even a small one. she stated even the panache at 1% had the possibility of putting you over the limit.

This is a swedish site that tells you how long you have to wait based on your weight and how much you drink. I put in my weight with 125 cl panache at 1% it tells me i have to wait 1 hour at least. with 0.09 in my system

http://alkoholförbränning.se/

I just changed it to 5% 125 cl and it now tells 3 hours minimum.

the site is swedish.

fascinating link Harry…

1 Like

Surely this thread has drifted so far off topic most of the recent posts would be more appropriate if they were moved to Simon’s thread about driving under the influence of drink and drugs.

I’m posting this here… and on Simon’s thread…

does it matter its a bout driving safety, speeding and drinking its all under one banner as far as i’m concerned. what conversations do we have in our own homes that dont drift slightly off topic that it started from that’s called a discussion and discussions expand on the original concept. same as a discussion about the weather can diverse into how flooded your eg garden is into what veg you are growing or a discussion about the weather somewhere else can divert to how beautiful said place is in the snow or summer and when someone visited it. You do have to option to unfollow topics David if its boring you or you are not interested in where the comments have gone to or even make a comment regarding the original pos to get it back to the track.

Enjoy life and be free, follow the flow.

1 Like

Drinking and driving and exceeding artificial speed limitsare two completely different things even though they are both to do with driving. This thread is about speed, Simon’s is about drink and drugs so why are we mixing the two. It’s very easy to prove that alcohol affects the ability to drive safely and if anyone could prove that exceeding 90kmh on an open deserted road in a modern car in good conditions is as dangerous as a couple of units of alcohol I would be more willing to accept the lower limit when it is introduced. The trouble is it’s not and never will be. Lowering the speed limit on 400,000km of roads where speed is not an issue will solve nothing. Reducing speed where itvwill have an impact is something else.

the thread was already mixed before the drink drive post. I stand by it, if you dont want to read it unfollow it and stop being so negative in all your posts as it seems every time you respond to something I comment on you are seeking to be negative maybe towards me or just to life in general. If you do not want to get involved in the discussion as it develops just don’t comment its simple

Harry, do you speak Swedish?

yes its swedish as there was a debate over the limit and i can read a bit of swedish yes, bonus is auto translate all pages to english though

the wonders of technology