Changes in speed limits

is that meant to be funnny? stupid

1 Like

I’m not sure that overtaking a vehicle that is travelling at the legal limit would be regarded as breaking the law, Harry, provided it was done safely, and that the over-taker returned to the legal speed after completing the manouevre.

Not having the energy to research it, could you point me to a suitable link?

well none of them return to the speed limit or what would be the point in over taking me travelling t the right speed.

2 Likes

You must commute along a very busy road Harry. Last weekend I went on a 400km round trip to the Dordogne and, as far as I can remember did not overtake or get overtaken all day.

I’ll add this to the list of questions I shall be putting to our Commandant at the next Christmas Bash… :wink:

He’s very long-suffering, even so I make sure he has been well fed before I engage him in such conversations … :relaxed:

it is quite a busy road I just think as its so dam straight its renown for fast drivers. I know the cops make a small fortune when they stick up their cameras

I drive to toulouse down the back roads once or twice a month rather than the auto rout and hardly ever get over taken.

1 Like

I think technically it is breaking the law as the maximum indicated speed would have been exceeded.

What would be the need or point of overtaking a vehicle that is travelling at the speed limit?

6 Likes

I’m with you on this Mat.

Why would someone bother to overtake and then return to the same speed as the car they had overtaken? I’ve only ever overtaken someone because they were going slower than me. :thinking:

2 Likes

There are many reasons to overtake a vehicle in front of you even if it is travelling at the same speed as you most of the time, for example it may be slower up hills and personally I hate following large vehicles which prevent me seeing ahead. In reality a lot of the vehicles you come across are travelling 5-10 kmh slower and that really does make a difference.

surprised you didn’t need to overtake a single vehicle on your long journey then. You must have got lucky

1 Like

Some days you can just hit lucky… there have been times when we have wondered if everyone else had been “beamed-up”… :upside_down_face::grinning:

had a few of those but very rare and over 400km… maybe if I stuck to all those country one track roads.

1 Like

Agree re 'Tailgaters, Harry (bum sniffers) :rofl:, my reaction is, and has been for years, a dramatic ‘slow down’ :+1:
Finding a way to enforce existing rules, phones, speed, sniffing etc, would make more sense than the 80kph, which will be polluting and very ‘fuel inefficient’

1 Like

yeah unfortunatly i once did a dramatic slow down and ended up getting rear ended by a distracted driver. While little damage I doubt i would do it now as mainly when travelling have kids or dogs in my vehicles.

1 Like

Not lucky, it’s usually like that.

1 Like

wish it was like that round here

1 Like

Touch wood! :wink: Using gears to slow down is another when a ‘sniffer’ is close, approaching a junction, no brake lights :grin:

Your second paragraph explains your first.

The French aren’t trying to force you to go faster they just like to sit on the ass of the car in front at any speed.

Because it may be a van or lorry and they may prefer to have a better view of what lies ahead than just the brake lights of a large vehicle.

1 Like