Charente: local produce wins medals.. What is produced in your area?

You lucky folk in the Charente…goats cheese, smoked trout and rillette de canard… with a nice chilled pineau to sip on… who could ask for more… (well, ok… a small cognac and coffee to follow)…:hugs:

We have jambon persille, charolais beef, cassis, nonettes, wine.

1 Like

sounds wonderful Jane…

The big thing round here of course is Blanquette de Limoux (and Cremant de Limoux). Lots of people who can’t drink champagne can’t drink that without headaches. Luckily I can drink both!!

1 Like

Gaperon cheese

1 Like

Cows, sheep and wood.

1 Like

Duck, goose, duck, duck, duck, truffle, duck, wine, duck, duck, happy veal, duck, strawberries. Tobacco.
Did I mention duck?

[Have you ever considered - it has just struck me - how weird the word ‘duck’ looks?No? Just me then?]

1 Like

That’s 10 ducks in one post, take it you like a duck or two :joy:

I have already realised that if I come back as a duck in my next life I should avoid south west France under all circumstances!

1 Like

Vineyards and the production of Sauternes, Barsac, Loupiac & St Croix du Mont sweet white wines. Graves, lots of Graves red and white wines. Osier (Wicker) fields and a little museum celebrating it’s history and use. Palombe (Pigeon) hunting and eating is a passion - (you can’t get hold of artisans for love or money during the season). Angling for and eating freshwater fish? particularly eels, from Carrelets (huts) along the banks of the Garonne;

Boeuf de Bazas - Almost a religion around here, with it’s own magnificent Fetes each February when the town is literally turned into one massive beef restaurant with thousands enjoying a leisurely lunch in the many temporary eateries lining the streets before watching the finest examples of the breed being paraded around the town square.

Oh! yes - lots of duck and the production of some of the finest Foie Gras in nearby Auros.

And finally, just a short drive over the border into Lot et Garonne, there is Marmande with it’s annual celebrations of the fabulous strawberry and tomatoes cultivated around the town. It also boasts the Lucien Georgelin Confiserie in nearby Virazeil where some of the finest Jams and sweets in France are produced.

1 Like

Here in the Charente Maritime we don’t have too many local gastronomical delights - galettes charentaises, oysters and mussels, pineau and vin des pays, my food hell goats cheese is very popular but obviously not just locally produced.

1 Like

And lampreys and elvers!