Cheapest, simplest mobile phone possible - suggestions please

I have also given my french landline for verification purposes which plays a recorded message of a 4 digit code. Which I then enter. (It may not be an option for all banks or online businesses) but worth trying and works for me.

PS I would not be without my mobile though, especially when driving. Having that extra security is important.
But I am not attached to it 24/24 like some that Sue mentioned, which unfortunately is becoming more and more “common” . :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Not necessarily, maybe he would have been just as inconsiderate a few years ago. Probably would, if he is rude and badly brought up that is just how he is.

I was on a 'plane on Monday, from Bristol to Bergerac, and many passengers were ghastly but only some had their telephone as an accessory to ghastliness. Actually the ones on their telephones were at least quiet.

Planes are just buses or cattletrucks now.

1 Like

Oh no! Sue! You haven’t offended anyone!
Don’t sulk, so, Martin…just accept with huge delight, that not everyone thinks in the same way as you, or I, do!
And a very good thing too.
It gets like kiddies playtime here, sometimes, snatching each others lunch time bananas …and m and ms!

1 Like

Please don’t retire - I’m sure Martin didn’t mean to sound so spike and will hopefully moderate his tone before posting again.
X

2 Likes

I love your dark view of the world Vero, Im never sure if you are joking or not. Can imagine all those pretty air hostess ladies and gents, being ticked off for allowing their planes to become like cattle trucks! The vision conjured up by that thought is practically Dante. Pee and poo all over the gangways, and everyone snorting and chomping into their troughs. Oh my! What a world! :grin:

1 Like

Don’t ever worry on my account, Tracey! That’s very kind but I’ve got a hide like a nuclear bomb shelter, I mean…not sensitive. Or…thick as ten short, oak planks…or… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Anyone feel like buzzing rocks at anyone, buzz them at me first, and work off a bit of your ire/phlegm.

Dan Wood, I’m very sorry you withdrew your comment. I enjoyed thinking about your comments and would have been delighted to reply. :open_mouth:

1 Like

I have to use my U.K. mobile but with roaming because there is no reception in the area where I live for a French mobile!

1 Like

What signal does your UK mobile pick up?

1 Like

But all UK mobile numbers are using the French mobile system network. So you just need to find out which French service provider/mast your UK mobile is using …

In the past my roaming phone always picked up Bouygues in and around my house so when I got a French SIM I used them. A foreign mobile is a good way to find out which provider actually covers a particular area well.

GSM ?? but I think you mean provider

1 Like

I meant what I wrote. Perhaps you need to re-read the thread.

Hi Sue, I can recommend Free mobile. You can get a SIM only deal for 2€ a month with some inclusive calls and texts, even to UK landlines atm! I got a cheap 9.99€ mobile from Auchan which only calls and texts and a camera which is useless but for 10€, what do you expect. Cheapest option all round. You can order the SIM online and have it delivered to your home, so no need to even enter a shop! No tied in contract either. Bon chance :four_leaf_clover:
http://mobile.free.fr/fiche-forfait-2-euros.html

2 Likes

If you dont need a smartphone, 15€ will buy you one good enough for codes etc.

Whatever you buy, LeFrenchMobile.com is the best no contract sim to buy. Different options but just put credit on it and it lasts until you use it. I bought 50€ over a year ago and its still valid. Just a single use once a month to provide “proof of life”

1 Like

Thanks Sara and Patrick - very useful. You’re both right. This is all that I need.

1 Like

LeFrenchMobile often have top up offers too. E.g, you buy €10 and they double it.

If someone would answer one question about mobiles, that would be wonderful.
My question is…
If you have a mobile that can do internet connection, does that mean its possible to cut out a telephone fixe entirely?
Just use a mobile for everything, inc operating a printer?
Thank you for thinking about it.
SFR costs 40+ per month. But you are discussing mobiles, with sims, that cost almost zero…so that tells me…must be possible to live without a fixed phone…

The simple answer to that is yes, if you have a decent signal at home. In my location I get much faster internet connection through my 4G phone than I do through my Livebox. None of my children have landlines, they are totally mobile. I can print directly from my phone and tablet but I had to make sure that the printer I bought was compatible.

1 Like

Thank you Martin…I suppose, thinking on…that how much you use Internet connection/communication must make a difference to costs.
If like my internet connection, your phone is switched on 24 hrs 7/7/365… It won’t be a big saving, to ditch the box and fixed phone.?..I never use the phone to make calls… :open_mouth: