Chenille processionnaire

Thanks David. We found them all over our wheelie bin last year but hadn't noticed a nest in the leylandii above. For those wanting to see a photo, there's one here from the website plus a video on the link David provided above.

Dead right Clare. Mayors are supposed to have an interest and make the environmental health people in the department aware of how it is. Hereabouts, being on a slope overlooking a small valley I can see about a dozen at present. I told the mayor and he made a rough indication on a photocopy of the cadastrial plan of the commune. He had already had some reported and told me that he will pass it on to the cantonal people responsible for dealing with this by the end of this week. I think that is how it is meant to be and what Tim got is pure negligence of responsibilities.

One 'safe' way was suggested elsewhere, Spray the nests with hair spray first to prevent the bristles from flying. Then cut and burn. Always wear gloves and face protection.
A friend became extremely ill when a preceding lorry disturbed some high roadside nests – she was riding pillion on a scooter and the spores flew up under her visor...

Hi Tim. I would be tempted to report this in writing to the CRPF. Whilst your post code is not in the reported area, if they are treating them elsewhere, they may be moving further out and they might want to know this. Tell them that you have reported it to the mayor and that he is not concerned and ask them nicely for some advice.

I had some once on pine trees in our garden, high up too. So I put on mu climbing harness and climbed up and cut the relevant branches as close as I could to the nests. Then I burned them. Seems to be the standard procedure, although I've seen eco-traps in the trees around where I live. The thing I don't quite get about the traps is that they don't help the tree until the caterpillars descend, but isn't that only when they are ready to go to ground? I mean if you have the trap, the things are still going to eat the tree all season, aren't they? Or do they descend at night too?

We lost our dog nearly last year. Still a pup at the time, those wiggleys are definitely interesting. The nurse at the vet’s also said, that dogs do not learn from their experience :frowning:
Here the critters have already started to come out. We drown them once we see them, because even burning has its hazards as the little bristles, where the poison is mainly located do fly with the hot air into the atmosphere, you can imagine the rest.
The traps seem to be working but are extremely expensive when you think that you would have to tie them to every tree! And in the end our dog ate one on our walk…and not in the garden.Does anyone know what they turn into once they dig themselves into the ground?

Thanks Dave, I have seen those traps before, but I thought the authorities used them. That said, for two I think we can pay to have the trees taken out.

Brian, we do have some insecticide, we meant to spray at lunch time but got delayed coming back at lunch from eye doctor's appointment - had to drive 90 km each way to see nearest one with an appointment that wasn't for June 20th 2025!

Anyone dealth with FDGDON or FNLON?

I just zapped some yesterday. With two dogs and two cats and two children, we need to be vigilant. Strong insecticide on kitchen paper pushed in their 'nest' then removed a while later and burned. Fortunately I found this lot on some nettles, trees are going to be harder if we have them.

They are a pain in the ass particularly if you have dogs/cats. This may be helpful. A friend of mine used a similar product last year with some success.

http://fr.jardins-animes.com/eco-piege-contre-chenille-processionnaire-du-pin-p-1032.html