Chickens land (or come home to roost) tomorrow 1/01/22

Covid has nothing to do with laziness.

??? Unfortunately this year they would have the covid excuse for preferring deliveries even if you’re suspecting laziness :slight_smile:

No deliveries here!

I remember picking our own fruit in Worcestershire, and fields of gorgeous plum trees. But then they were gone. But hopefully some people are trying to recover the situation : http://www.tctop.org.uk/the-tctop-story/

“… in Worcestershire, there are or have been, concentrations of orchards in the Teme Valley, a stronghold for cherries; in the Severn Vale and Vale of Evesham, for apples; and around the Wyre Forest for plums and cherries. Pears are a particular Worcestershire speciality. Pershore – ‘Pearshore’ – was the heart of the pear country. Few pear orchards survive today, although pear trees remain widespread in hedgerows. Worcester City has had many cultural associations with fruit trees and orchards. The city crest itself incorporates three black pears. Historically the city has been important for this fruit and also the pearmain.”

1 Like

Mum went hop-picking in Kent way, way back when…

I used to go strawberry picking with my young nephews (and other kids). We loved picking the fruit and (what they didn’t eat on the spot) they helped me turn it into jam back in my kitchen.

Nothing nicer than each kid presenting Mum or Gran with a jar of “their” jam… :hugs:

1 Like

Stop reading the anti Brexit newspapers then you will be much happier !

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: PSML, brilliant, do really want us to start reading the Daily Mail and Express instead :scream::nauseated_face:

Absolutely - don’t enquire what a disaster Brexit is proving to be and you will be in a blissful state.

I can agree though without Brexit I would be a happier person.

(the wording Anti-Brexit did get me thinking though about a pro-Brexit newspaper - if it were truthful would there be any content at all?)

It would be a very short newspaper, but it’s possible it could grow quite a bit in future.

Can you see something positive on the horizon?

I can certainly see significant issues post 1st Jan import/export controls.

Well, tbh Europe has a different future and strategy, and a different set of problems to solve. But if Britain would just get on with things and and look forwards, after this choppy period of what? 4-7 years, Britain could move forward and go like a train in the future.

I admire your optimism, but I don’t share it.

Brexit to me is an enormous act of self harm with the impact (-8%) being twice that of covid (-4%).

I sincerely hope things work out well for UK but I am seeing nothing to indicate that this will happen. Perhaps with a competent government things could improve.

1 Like

Nah - the opposite will happen. It’s bound to. During the 4-7 bad years the world will have moved on, principally through responses to climate/ecological breakdown. Whatever their source - actions of governments, consumer choices, fuel prices, any/all of these - the effects will include curtailment of long-distance trade and business. The already clear evolution away from globalism towards smaller regional trading blocks will gather pace - the largest may be continent-sized (the EU a prototype of this). Peripheral islands like the UK, with relatively small internal markets, limited natural resources, little climate variation, etc, will have no choice but to trade on less favourable terms, and get poorer, or join the neighbouring block - or indeed break apart - leaving only little England (which might indeed get smaller still - the latest sea level predictions put most of Cambridgeshire and big chunks of Lincolnshire, Norfolk, etc, under water).

It’s a pity ‘Dad’s Army’ isn’t recruiting for an episode or two… you would have been perfect.

Hi Penny, you’ve got that spot on, Thank you for the compliment,
Happy New Year.

3 Likes

During the brexit debates in many discussions I put forward the case that the ‘Global Britain’ plan was tragically mistimed - might have been a good idea in the 1970s - but now climate/ecological breakdown is forcing us to go in precisely the opposite direction: towards increasingly local and regional trading blocks.

I wonder what brexiters feel when they see this unfolding…

Henri Murison, director of the Northern Powerhouse Partnership regional lobby group, said it was a “bitter irony” that northern regions such as Teesside and Cumbria, which both voted for Brexit in large numbers but were major recipients of EU funds, would bear the brunt of the reduced allocations.
Comment made after government gave early bird details of UK’s replacement Shared Prosperity Fund (SPF) which is designed to replace money the various uk regions received from the EU to support regional development. Chickens coming home to roost!

Unfortunately there is absolutely no satisfaction in saying I told you so, it is just sad.