What’s on in cinemas now

There doesn’t seem to be a thread for cinema films, although ones for TV downloads/streaming. Not quite the same…

We went to see Les Nuits de Mashhad last night, just released in France last week so in cinemas now. A quite chilling view of Iran.

I don’t like thrillers or violent films but this gripped me from the start. Great acting, good direction and the pace of the film worked well for me. The violence was handled discretely and was not gratuitous.

For those who get Nouvel Obs there were pieces in last week’s about the film and main actor. I have seen other of Ali Abbasi’s films and liked them.

(And the Guardian didn’t like it much at Cannes!)

3 Likes

I will continue with my solo film thread, if only to serve as a diary of films I’ve like!

Last night we saw La conspiration du Caire, a film set in Cairo built around the election of the Grand Imam and state machinations to influence the elections, which sounds deeply dry, But wasn’t. Lovely settings (Istanbul) and the various plots and counter plots were quite fun.

Released last month, so doing the rounds now.

3 Likes

Another interesting film last weekend. Jafar Panahi’s Aucun Ours, released in France a couple of weeks ago.

We saw his Three Faces a few years back, which we liked.

This was more challenging. Since he can’t leave Iran, and is actually forbidden from filming there, he directed it by video from a small Iranian village on the border, with the actors the other side of the border in Turkey. And there are two intertwined stories. The Turkish side is about a couple trying to get to Europe, and people smuggling. Whilst on the Iranian side of the border he is accused of taking a photo of some clandestine lovers, throwing the village into turmoil. An awful lots of sub-texts, about censorship, political intrigue. But it gripped us.

And brought home quite starkly the Iranian repression as he is now back in prison.

3 Likes

Tonight’s local cinema offering was Vivre (Living) a British remake of the Kurosawa film Ikiru, with Bill Nighy acting the central character of an ultra reserved local authority office who finds out he has just months to live. It was quite surreal as despite British actors, setting, language etc etc it was a Japanese film in every other sense. Not surprising really as Kasuo Ishiguru was the screen writer.

Measured, scenic, and a careful structured of boxes within boxes it was a gently absorbing film about facing death and the aftermath.

My criticism is that it didn’t really make best use of Bill Nighy’s talents as an actor.

4 Likes

@JaneJones thank you for this thread. As I’ve got older, I’ve begun to appreciate film for itself, rather than look down on it as an inferior version of the novel.

I’m grateful for your recommendations and thoughts.

2 Likes

It’s one of the films on my list to see - I wait until they come out on DVD,

I LOVE Bill Nighy. There are moments of such tenderness in his films, often in the most unexpected circumstances. In Love Actually where he declares his love for his manager. Throughout the film About Time, And he was great in Still Crazy.

I have a feeling that this might be a film that doesn’t work so well on a small screen. But then I love an actual cinema so will rarely watch a film at home - to easy to get distracted - so am a bit biased. Sitting in comfortable darkness and immersing myself in a film is my preference. Bit like the difference between seeing an actual painting and a postcard. Do you not have a cinema locally? Ours is great, especially since I went and mended the torn seat covers. And for these sorts of films there are rarely more than a dozen people.

This is also a very tender film, so he won’t disappoint on that a score.

1 Like

You’ve reminded me - Many, many years ago I was in this brand new cinema off Piccadilly wearing a full length jersey dress (I did that sort of thing in those days!) in a perfect temperature. The film? One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, with Tom Courtenay. I was so immersed, I was absolutely frozen! :grin:

1 Like

Empire of Light arrived in French cinemas this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyable, not surprising as top class credentials. Toby Jones - one of my all time favorite actors - and Olivia Coleman. Cinematography by Roger Deakins and directed by Sam Mendes, so lots of beautiful framing.

Set in the 80’s using the dreamland cinema in Margate as the main set, so may be nostalgic for many :smile:, and is a beautiful historic building. I liked also that they use the seascape and the light quite heavily.

Billed as a lover affair to cinema , which I didn’t quite get, it is a tale of the relationship between two emotionally damaged people and of finding their way. Coleman as a buttoned up cinema manager slowly loosing her mental grip, and bonding with young, excluded black lad who comes to work as an usher (I found that a bit crass - young, black, called Stephen and planning to become an architect, with a fearsome mother…).

This romantic plot line is broken up a strong sub-plot of racism, linking to 1981 race riots, Not to give plot away but it is dramatic.

It is a sort of happy ever after film, but this isn’t universal so also extremely sad.

I also recently went to see Living and thoroughly enjoyed it - Bill Nighy has to be up there as one of my favourite actors.

Another enjoyable film I’ve been to see is A Man Called Otto. The original book and movie was Swedish, A Man Called Ove. I often find that when Hollywood recreates an original it’s a little disappointing, but this one wasn’t. A good example was the movie Intouchables that was Hollywooded and sadly failed in my humble opinion.

2 Likes

And also a film I saw last week, Aftersun. Perfect for people who like films where nothing happens - me. And a 90minute waste of life for people who don’t - my OH.

Young man goes on a week’s package holiday to Turkey with his 11 year old daughter. That in essence is it :rofl::joy:.

I loved that it captured memories in a very real way, half remembered, half understood as she looks back on this holiday as an adult woman… And that you had to work at it, as nothing was made completely clear, just hints. Was he gay? Did he subsequently die? Still not sure, which I like.

2 Likes

I saw the original Kurosawa film some time ago, and it was fantastic. My sort of film. Haven’t seen ‘Living’ yet, but I will as soon as I can. Don’t think it’s been at the cinema her in VO (my French isn’t really good enough at the mo). I like the studied understatement of Bill Nighys’ acting and think he would fit perfectly into this role. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Nice to read this thread, not at a point where I can go out to the cinema in the evenings at the moment having an 8 year old but I’m interested and can always download!

2 Likes

After weeks and weeks of programming that is not for us - children’s stuff or awful (to us) American films - finally something we wanted to see…

Stephen Frears’ The Lost King.

A dramatised account of the finding of Richard III’s body in a Leicester car park. It was light and charming, bowled along at a good pace and took you with it. Casting was a bit heavy on stereotypes, but I did quietly enjoy the fact the the academics came across as pillocks, although University of Leicester may not be too happy about the film!

The lead actress, Sally Hawkins, plays a quirky character well. And Steve Coogan as her ex(ish husband is a better actor than I remember.

And inspired me to remind myself of British history!

Won’t make my top 10 films of all time, but a fun one.

3 Likes

Oh yes, the University of Leicester are pissed off :rofl:

https://le.ac.uk/richard-iii/record

Second edit….casting wasn’t heavy on stereotypes as the real people were themselves stereotypes :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

The Banshees of Inisherin finally got to us - which might make it into my top film category once I’ve emerged from the deep depression it caused.

Set on an Aran Island during Irish Civil war, which is not a direct part of the film apart from a few explosions across the water, but is very much present metaphorically in the fracturing relationships between two previously close friends.

Such beautiful landscape (it didn’t rain), soft irish accents, melodic folk music and rural life all beguiles you at first. But bit by bit, and slowly and gently you descend with them into a dark and miserable place. It’s a remarkably gentle film for one where most of the characters end up dead, disfigured, sexually abused or seek exile.

So it’s only when you get to the end when you realise how totally and utterly depressing it was. And rush home to hug your dog ( don’t go see it if you have a pet donkey).

But absorbing, and beautifully filmed. Wouldn’t be surprised if it wins things.

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022, 9 oscar nominations)

Best picture: Graham Broadbent, Peter Czernin, Martin McDonagh

Best actor: Colin Farrell

Best supporting actor: Brendan Gleeson

Best supporting actor: Barry Keoghan

Best supporting actress: Kerry Condon

Best directing: Martin McDonagh

Best original screenplay: Martin McDonagh

Best film editing: Mikkel E.G. Nielsen

Best original score: Carter Burwell

Notes: Everything Everywhere All at Once beat The Banshees of Inisherin in six categories, including best picture*.* McDonagh received three nominations for his work on the film.

1 Like

From your description, I’d have thought that inevitable!

We missed The Quiet Girl last year, but having been nominated for an Oscar it’s back on the cinema circuit again.

So glad finally got to see it as this is a top 10 film. The Quiet Girl is definitely quiet as you could probably fit her part onto a page of A4, and the other characters aren’t exactly voluble either. But completely absorbing, with so many undercurrents to hook you in. What is not said is more important that what is said.

A very sad tale of family troubles impacting on a young and withdrawn girl. Who gets a chance for a different sort of life, for a summer. And at the same time helps the adults that take her in. It stops at the point where you can decide if it is happy ever after ending, or not.

And a film where every frame is meaningful, so you have to pay attention. It’s about 100 minutes of carefully edited and slowly unfurling storyline - which so much better than a sloppily edited 150 minute film that makes you itch to shorten it.

Very Irish (it is mainly in Gaelic) and full of detail of irish rural life so feels accurate to the period (1980’s) and complete . Filmed on a narrow ratio film stock adds to the impression of so much happening outside what you see and hear - as if you are peeking into her life in a very intimate way.

Definitely one to see!

1 Like

Recent films have been so unmemorable that not worthy of even a sentence. However saw the Ken Loach “The Old Oak” this weekend.

Basic story line is Syrians being dumped in Durham ex-mining community with all the incomprehension and racism that one would image. Failing pub owner befriends them against active opposition from locals.

Very Ken Loach, and good on him yet again for tackling stories that should be told. But light of hand it was not, and extremely clunky. Not helped by him deciding to use a mainly non-professional cast. Laudable but doesn’t make for smoothest cinema experience. However good on developing characters, including a cute dog (who has a pivotal but very cushion grabbing scene).

However overall a feel good film and some sweet bits - Durham cathedral with choir singing Thomas Tallis, the Durham Gala, an oud player (although not listed in credits).

I think it could relate well in French coal field areas.

2 Likes