Classic car restoration garages

You are quite right! I didn’t know a lot about CGs, veh de c status etc. when I bought it. I was happy for the garage to “guide” me through the paperwork… It 's easy looking through the retrospectoscope.

Been there, done that… and even worse… the guy was a friend… :zipper_mouth_face:

He moved down south… to St Foy La Grande soon after… perhaps hoping/trying to escape the wrath of Stella… :zipper_mouth_face::rofl::rofl:

Ha ha,must be scary for him to skip town

Yes, I am scary… :rofl: you’ve been warned…:grinning::wink::upside_down_face:

(he was retiring and I was one of his last customers)

OK, thanks for all your help. If you do pass by the garage, I’d be interested to here what they think.
Cheers

I’ll let you know… can’t hurt to ask…

Thanks

Incidentally… difficult to tell… have you replaced the hood… it looks in good nick… but, who knows… ???

No, all original. Don’t think it saw a lot of use in california!

That’s great.

We had to replace ours and opted for one with a zip-out rear window… which proved super in France… let us protect our heads from the midday sun, yet allowed a super airflow…

If you were needing to change it…
… I was going to give you that idea to mull over.

:relaxed:

That’s a great idea. Driving around top down is great but not in the height of summer! One of our tours turned into 30+ degrees. Car didn’t like it, neither did the passengers!

At first… we did what so many Brits seem to do… we were loathe to block the sun in any way … which only resulted in the “boiled” look and verging on sunstroke…

A local took us aside and said that between 11am and 4pm… in summer… best advice is to keep the hood up ! :hugs:

Anyway… when it came to replacement… OH sourced one, as I say, with window which unzips on 3 sides… it folds down and tucks away on the back seat/shelf. :grinning:

On a long TR Register France trip… it was noticeable that the TR6’s over heated… far more than the other TR’s …

thankfully, OH had upgraded the whole cooling system… (along with everything else… these cars can become an obsession … :joy::rofl: )

Yes I put in a bigger fan, but they are never really finished…

Of course not…always something more to do.

For the heat: OH added: oil cooler, bigger radiator and replaced static fan (?) with electric one controlled by a thermostat (and put an extra switch on the dashboard to over-ride the thermostat if necessary when car risked being stuck in traffic etc… belt and braces)

He also upgraded the brakes and installed a lock on the hydraulic brake system. (as a plus… it worked as an “anti-theft” device for those not in the know)… :wink:

Love the Rapier Stella.
A chap I knew at school had one as his first car…can’t stand all these plastic motors these days

1 Like

I had a Rapier too, but the fastback/coupe later version, loved it :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Good news and bad news. After the discussion here I went back through the communications on ANTs and at the end of the messages (marked terminee) I was hoping that meant my new CG was being issued. Today I discovered a rubrique “Ou en est ma carte Grise?” and lo and behold there was a stage of production page which showed it had been delivered 3rd May. So good news I have a new CG. Bad news lost in the post somewhere. I went to to LA Poste today with a print out of above and got a shrug with “no tracking number” you’ll have to phone them. Didn’t even go out the back and look. :angry: So back to ANTs I suppose. I think there is considerable strain on the system from what I hear on the Permis de conduire front as well. C’est la vie

PS love the Rapier too! Friend at Uni had one too. Proper gentlemans(/ladies?) tourer!

My Rapier is registered as a 5-seater… and we have had 5 in it from time to time…

But, in more recent years OH felt the need to put in seatbelts… so we are now a “roomy” 4 seater…

Oh… and the boot is wonderful… so much room for all the bits and spare parts needed for a trip… let alone anything so mundane as luggage…:hugs: