Clocks go FORWARD

Hope all is well…

We’ve so many gadgets/clocks we’ll get there in the end… meanwhile the bedside clock is the only one that can be relied on at the moment… :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

Fancy having to get up an hour earlier on your 45th wedding anniversary!

5 Likes

Congratulations Jane

1 Like

Is it correct that the changing of clocks every 6 months or so stops shortly?

Still awaiting a firm decision.

Thanks @Stella - I am happy for clock changing to be scrapped.

I hate it and I have always thought it isn’t a matter that should be imposed by government. The time of day we rise or go to bed should be a personal decision.
In the old days it was easy, you just stopped the clock for an hour or wound the hands forward as necessary, but especially when going back an hour, altering digital devices can be a bit of a problem. Surely all that time could be spent more usefully?
Oops! I forgot to do the microwave. . . . .

Why did you have to get up at all? Is there not a Mr. W who rocks up with scrambled eggs, smoked salmon on toast [not crusts, of course] and champagne?

"The time of day we rise or go to bed should be a personal decision. " says, Mike Kearney. So it is. Doesn’t have to be associated with any time of day or night. But what the time actually might be is a government decision.

Look at Spain. In 1940 Franco put Spain on Berlin time, +1, as a sop to Hitler. Previously Spain had taken its time from TZ0, almost all of it being west of the Greenwhich Meridian. Its most westerly parts are on the same long as Ireland.
Every year at this time, a debate on changing back to TZ0 runs in the Spanish media.

I think the EU ruling will produce more choss. Countries are to be given the choice of being TZ +1 or TZ+1+DST.

vamos a ver!

Today, my alarm, which is the only programmed aspect of a spare phone, went off. “Hnngg … muz be 8:30 …” Turned it off. I do this by feel alone.

Seconds later, so it seemed, it went off again "Brrsszzzngghh! Muz’ be 9:00… "

At which point my addiction to coffee got the better of my addiction for my bed.

“Wazz nnn fffrrggnn z’goin’ on??!!!” Bathroom clock reads 8.05! “Ahhhnnhh! fffrrggnn clocks!”

Coffee or no coffee. Back to bed.

Hahaha! Friends have a house in which there is an electric digital oven, the operation of which, including setting the time, is known only to me. It is the case that after an absence of some months I do have to re-read the Manuel but it seems I am the only person who understands it.

My friends’ children, who are tech savvy enough to work it, of course, are 1] Totally indifferent as to whether this thing works or not. Baked beans come out of microwaves. Ice cream comes out of freezers. 2] Too small to reach the controls.

The family just made it to this house in Somerset from London before the police started sending people home as they went west down the M4/M5/A30.

I keep hearing stories of people rejoicing in having beaten the lockdown. Everyone has their own special circumstances to justify thinking of themselves as an exception. There will be a price to be paid by all of us.

2 Likes

Actually, my friends got to their country house before the lock-down was initiated. I didn’t make that clear. In that sense, by knowing that it was imminent, they ‘beat the lock-down’ but not by travelling once it had been in place.

But I assume that they did so to flee from the plague as their ancestors did in 1665, spreading the pestilence throughout the land.

Whether the clocks go forward, back, up or down… there often seems to be not enough time to do what we really want … let’s grab the moment… and enjoy being alive … :upside_down_face: :relaxed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If6mspKkE5k

2 Likes

I always get up earlier as I go to bed first.

He did help with lunch, but even after 45 years he needs supervision.

1 Like

You know perfectly well the difference. In this case, to spell it out, 4 healthy people, one of whom works at home permanently, two children removed from school two weeks earlier and confined to home, got in a car, drove to Somerset and got out at their house there, where, after more than a week, they remain healthy.

Those trying to escape the plague walked [the majority] or rode, almost certainly in company with others, coming into contact with people en route, perhaps staying overnight somewhere …

Or, like Samuel Pepys, repeatedly going back and forth to Woolwich, then a village 8 miles from London, people at both ends of the journey infected, paricularly London, the epicentre, his friends and colleagues either getting the plague or, more commonly, having servants die on them from it.

No comparison.

Please can we keep at least one thread without coronavirus stuff entering into it…

3 Likes

How did they know they were healthy? It can take a week to show symptoms and it is possible to be infected and show no symptoms at all. I infer from your post that one of those people worked outside the home and wouldn’t be able to vouch for all their contacts in the previous week.
I am ashamed to say that a family member in the UK brought someone home, justifying it as a “rescue mission.”
It is easy to rationalize our own behaviour. But others will say “If it’s OK for them. . . . . .”
The real difference is that we know what causes it and how it is spread, in the 17th century they didn’t.

That’s his cunning ploy, still good after all these years, to get out of being solely responsible. Like getting out of washing up by dropping a few prize pieces of crockery.

Are you talking from personal experience?