Collapsed Lung...anyone care to share experiences... please

I was young - What do you think happened to it? Use your wildest imagination and you won’t be far off :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

:smile::smile::smile: Been there… done that… (haven’t we all to some degree)… :wink::relaxed:

1 Like

So sorry for alll your worries Stella and your brother. Lets hope the Hospital wll find a solution for your brother.

god bless you all

2 Likes

I suffered from a collapsed lung (left lung) in 1980, at the age of 25, whilst serving in the royal Navy. They inserted a pipe into my chest to allow the air to leave and the lung to re-inflate and 7 days later I was home, 2 days later I was running 14 miles a day to get back to full fitness. In no way did the collapsed lung impair my fitness or ability to breath properly but unfortunately the Royal Navy stopped me diving professionally.

1 Like

These days a small spontaneous pneumothorax might not even get any treatment, since most will settle spontaneously as well and there is a not insubstantial rick to inserting a chest drain.

The situation with Stella’s brother seem much more complex than a simple spontaneous pneumothorax.

PS - Hope things are settling down Stella.

1 Like

Any news Stella on your brother? I have been thinking about him and hope he is feeling better. Please let us know.

1 Like

Not quite the same but my auntie developed pleurisy after an emergency hospitalisation and my mom has had pneumonia twice…once before she was admitted to A&E and once when she was admitted to A&E for something totally unrelated and acquired pneumonia on the ward…just thought I’d mention it as they both sounded absolutely dreadful over the phone and the gasping for breath in the way that you describe…hoping your daughter can put your mind at rest a little…mine certainly did the last time when I was worried sick after talking on the second day to both my mom (who could hardly speak) and then frantic with worry I asked to speak to a ward nurse…who didn’t put my mind at rest at all and had me frantically contemplating my fastest route back to uk…:heart:

1 Like

Hi Mandy…Our daughter spent all day Saturday chasing medications etc at his local Boots Pharmacy … the head Pharmacist was wonderful, phoning all around to get the stuff needed and our daughter would not leave the shop until everything was in her hands. (She spent so long there, my brother thought she had got lost !)

Neighbours, friends, Uni-colleagues… everyone is rallying round to ensure he is not actually on his own (in case he has a relapse) and their chit-chat and reminiscing is all keeping him cheerful.

Our daughter will visit next weekend… when she hopes to see a real change for the better… (she was very tearful when we chatted this weekend).

1 Like

You must be relieved he is getting the attention he needs. I hope you have better news next weekend. What a worry for you. :hugs:

Brother must be feeling better… he’s just been on the phone… telling me off !!

Seems someone read my comment that “the support has been dreadful” and thought I was talking about the wonderful friends who have been with him through thick and thin. Whereas, I was talking about the NHS support, which has been abysmal in my opinion.

My brother is very fortunate to have wonderful friends… some local, some far flung… but they all do a marvellous job, under difficult circumstances…

Yes, I do mean that my brother is difficult… always has been and always will be… but I still love the little blighter… :hugs:

So, if any of his friends are reading this thread… THANKYOU… and please pass that along… :heart_eyes::hugs:

4 Likes