Comfort food for a cold winter day

I wouldn’t worry, if you don’t want it I’ll drink it.

Oh no… I’m game for anything… and looking at the snow… we may end up eating and drinking whatever is in the cellar…:laughing:

Mandy you shouldn’t have said that, you’ve given me a dumpling craving. Ages since I had dumplings. Yorkshire Puds hit the same spot :grin: I had Yorkshire Puds over Christmas but nobody can make them quite like my dad did (he was a Yorkshireman and it was the only thing he ever did in the kitchen).

Tartiflette, yes please. To my shame I buy that special tartiflette cheese they sell at supermarkets, not very ethnic I know but it melts easily, and I add other cheeses to give it more flavour.

1 Like

I made a lovely beef stew a few weeks ago and big fluffy dumplings. It was so good.
As for yorkshire puddings I have become a bit of an expert now that I’m married to a Yorkshireman!

The correct cheese is more than important.

https://ifood.tv/french/tartiflette/about

1 Like

Tartiflette with added Gran Grattuciano and a Fricadelle with a dash of HP sauce on the side. Very vulgar and plebeian but lines one’s ribs when it’s cold and dark. A glass of South African Cape white.

2 Likes

I used to love Tartiflette… but it didn’t love me… so I ended up making my own version…and I use a mixture of whatever cheeses we have available. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The thing about Tartiflette is it’s a very modern dish ‘invented’ by the Reblochon producers to boost their falling sales. Make it with any other cheese and you’ve got a potato, cheese and bacon bake.

Ha ha… Dominic… I beg to differ… when I make my own recipe… it is always a Stella-Special :heart_eyes::laughing:

2 Likes

No differing, just following the rules.

Spicy red cabbage cooked with apples and raspberry vinegar.
Great with pork, duck; lamb, pigeon.
Jacket potato…a Binji they are fluffy …
Lots of butter…naughty but nice.

1 Like

Wow… Barbara…what a good idea. I bought a bottle of Raspberry Vinegar by mistake ages ago… and it is just sitting in the cupboard. Now, I’ll have a go at the spicy red cabbage… :grinning:

if you make Pavlova use a tiny drop in the last stage with a small amount of cornflower;
You get that crunchy yet chewy texture.

1 Like

When we had lunch guests I cooked it with a ballotine of guinea fowl.
The red cabbage came from a neighbour’s garden and the purple sprouting from our own.

There is a classic french bistro dish of chicken with red vinegar.
The raspberry vinegar works well.

Ha ha Barbara… I should have asked your advice before…

I bought it by mistake… thought it was a Raspberry vinaigrette… and when I went to use it on a salad mix… it tarnished the spoon I was using beyond repair… :cry: it is just so acidic that I shoved it away.

Now, I shall have a go… thanks again.

Stella no need to thank me…we need to pass on our culinary ideas.
I cook Guinea fowl often and love it but not when we have people for
dinner as Jonathon does not like it.

Try it again Stella, perhaps a more expensive one.
It really is very useful.
You can make your own vinaigrette with it.
Another tip,is to buy velours de balsamique. More expensive, but brilliant as a dressing with olive oil and not acidic at all.

Jane… I buy crême/velour already (various fruits) and trickle it over ice-cream… makes a wonderful duo… :grinning:

A simple dessert for winter…bananas fried until caramalised with a little honey,
a touch of salted butter, a squirtof fresh orange or satsuma and a little dark rum.Takes
just a few mins.
Serve with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream and if you wish passion fruit sorbet.

1 Like