Composting: questions from a novice!

We have to pay for ours, talk about injustice ! :wink:

We get free ones as well, although they’re wooden rather than plastic. We have three of them and the compost moves along the line when appropriate.

My old one, offered free, is of wood, but it’s slowly collapsing, all lopsided. When I find the energy I’ll scoop out the old one to start the new one.

Our oldest one is at least four years old and the others are three years old. They’ve had compost in them constantly in that time and are still as good as new. Thinking about it, that may be a bit worrying. I now wonder what they may have been treated with to make them so rot proof :thinking:

I’ve also got one of those wooden compost bins, kindly provided by the local dechetterie, but must admit I find it so small it’s pretty impractical. I consume quite alot of vegetables, so it’s filled very quickly. I could do with a bank of them to be useful.

I’ve just discovered and implemented a chicken compost system. You can literally make compost in a month!

3 Likes

My hooligans compost everything too. And deliver some fresh produce in return. Just be careful when using their compost - it can be a bit strong for young plants. I susually add theirs to my regular compost pile - together with wood ash and bits from the garden. After a couple of years (without any effort of turning etc) I have rather nice fertilizer/compost to fill pots and add to the potager when planting.
But - if you are growing tomatoes in a pot - fill the bottom 3rd with the fresh chicken compost, then add normal garden soil and plant. You will notice a startling growth spur once the tomato plants reach the nitrogen reservoir at the bottom…

2 Likes

My old chicken run years ago grew fabulous pumpkins thanks to the hens :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like