Computer problem

Hi, my computer has been behaving slightly oddly for a few days, starting with a warning message about APSDaemon.exe and not being able to start Windows. Last night it went completely bonkers and the entire screen broke up and I was left with a series of vertical coloured lines but it was very windy at the time and I wondered if that might have an effect cos it seemed to do it more wwhen gusty...probably just one of my barmy theories... This morning have restored system but still gettting message, however it seems to be working OK at the moment. It's a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 and Firefox. Any ideas? Oh and I did spill a bit of cherry juice on it yesterday morning which probably didn't help....

Am liking de-spooge...do you think it works on cherry juice (not a euphemism), see above!

Why would I want to do that when my current computer works perfectly well?

Perhaps if you are using Apple product already you should go the whole hog and buy a computer designed to use this software properly?

Touch wood everything is working in computer land...thanks one and all. I thought it had died and I'd have to spend my shoe budget on a new computer...

I will try that. Have done it before, but not recently, I must confess...

Thanks Brian, could it have been responsible for last night's weirdness?

Thanks Ley!

Hi Wendy, I had a quick look on the net for an answer to your problem and found this:

APSDaemon.exe (otherwise known as Apple Push) is the service that wirelessly syncs your device. It may safely be stopped from running at startup, but you may not be able to wirelessly sync your device. It is recommended to leave the process with its current settings for the best customer experience.

So from this, it sounds like it's a means to wirelessly sync your iPod, iPad or iTouch? The above description isn't really clear enough. From the page I linked to above:

This file belongs to product iCloud and was developed by company Apple Inc.. This file has description APS Daemon. This is executable file. You can find it running in Task Manager as the process apsdaemon.exe.

So if you don't use iCloud, it sure sounds like it would be safe to remove from your Startup Group. Kind of depends on how accurate this information is, as it is not from Apple's site. Though this site also notes it's meant for iCloud, and was installed by the iOS5 update.

It sounds like you don't need this file running unless you want to connect other Apple things or use the iCloud. If you click on you will see Startup down near the bottom click on and you should see APSDaemon or something similar. Right click on it and select This will not delete the actual files but will stop the programme running when you start your computer. Then reboot. Good luck.

PS I guess the cherry juice may have had an effect but unlikely ;-)