Concubinage

Well when I was at school Chequers, or Chequers Court, was the country house of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, and has been that since 1921. So well done for being a centenarian!

1 Like

Depends on if anyone thinks you would make a good concubin.

(No a concubin is not an idiot from Havana).

3 Likes

I donā€™t understand any of that.

For entry to UK, you join the Q - ā€œUK Passportsā€. A Brit passport is the entry doc for Brits to UK, no? Where does the CdS come in to that?

Entering FR I guess itā€™s what the CdS is for and one woud expect to show it as a matter of course.

That said, when I arrived at Portsmouth as a foot pax from Caen I was not asked for anything at all - pox test ref, pax locator form, nothing but passport.

Same going back Newhaven-Dieppe in my camper. The only doc I had to show was double vax cert to DFDS check-in. There was a complete absence of any border presence at Dieppe.

yes, you are right Lily. A friendā€™s daughter was trying to get home from University and had real trouble getting back into France. She had to prove she was Resident.

I believe that if you are not a Resident in France (ie you have a holiday home) you cannot travel back under current restrictions - either of you. If you are saying that you are a resident in France and your boyfriend is not; he cannot travel with you. Evidence of concubinage is not sufficient. Evidence that he has applied for Residency and has an official receipt to say so may be. All our adult children are unable to travel to visit us at the moment and I canā€™t really see what the difference is?

1 Like

You are right Lily. Our grown up children and family cannot visit under the current restrictionsā€¦

1 Like

Perhaps when you were at school, yes, but since weā€™re being pedantic havenā€™t the most recent ones, including Johnson, all lived at number 11? Their ā€œofficial residenceā€ may be 10, but thatā€™s not where they live, thatā€™s not where their beds are and their kitchens are, where their clothes are hung in the wardrobe, thatā€™s in No. 11.

Does this certificate of concubinage have any status when the boyfriend is still a UK resident and not applied for residency in France?

If you are travelling to the UK by train you first have to go through the French border control to leave Franceā€¦.

Hi @manda

In reply to the Original Posterā€¦ who mentioned "concubinage"I gave the link so that she and others could look and see what Concubinage in France was all about.

1 Like

its a really helpful article for those who are unsure, thankyou. Not sure that she could prove concubinage in France though if he isnā€™t a French Resident or applied to become one?

2 Likes

Why would the Country Residence of the 1st Lord of the Treasury equate to the City residence of the President of the French Republic ???

No that is not quite true, Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair became a father for the third time during his first term in office.

NĀ°11 is the official residence of the Second Lord of the Treasury. When Blair became 1St Lord of the Treasury, Gordon Brown who was a Bachelor at the time suggested that he and Blair swop accommodation as Blair needed the extra space.

The relative few times I have been in 10, it is pigeon holed offices.

Because the ƉlysĆ©e Palace is more equivalent to Chequers than it is to a poorly built brick terraced house. And yes Downing Street is a warren, but remarkable where you can get to once insideā€¦.

I was expecting to have to show vaccine certificate, negative test result, certificate of international travel, PLF, plus passport & CdS.
They asked at the first barrier to see my test result. I then joined the UK citizen queue. At that point, I handed over my passport, asked if he needed any other docs, & was told that CdS holders must show it with their passport every time the travel to & from France.
No other docs were shown or asked for.

1 Like

What actually is not true?

I was fortunate enough to be assistant to the photographer who took the first photograph in the Cabinet room. Jovial cove Jim Callaghan being P.M. in question. I cheeked him.

I mentioned that I had been offered the job of permanent assistant to Arnold ā€˜I have photographed the past 7 Presidentsā€™ Newman. Jovial Jim hoped [ā€œCrisis? What crisis?!ā€] that I would remit my US$ earnings back to UK.

ā€œNot if I can help it, Prime Minister!ā€ quoth Iā€¦ How we laughed!

The staircase with the portraits of the past P.M.s is, for once truly, awesome.

4 Likes

My understanding is that the CdSWA gives the holder the rights they would have had if the UK had not left the Union. That includes the right of immediate family to join you. Some EU countries try to make their own rules but this is EU law and France can be held to it. A friend of mine had problems with Spain over bringing a Canadian husband to the EU but Spain backed down in the end.

Perhaps the official in question took the route that a friend experienced when his bank manager tried to stiff him with an absurd 3 figure fee for an FX transfer. After much to-ing and fo-ing it boiled down to a large bouquet of flowers [female bankie]

Ive gone from 3 fig fee for FX to zero ā€œOh! I forgot you were introduced by Xā€!

It gives the holder the right to reside in France, thatā€™s it.

3 Likes