Confirmed Britons will need a carte de sejour!

Bonjour Kean, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Barbara took her leave of this Forum last week - However, perhaps another member of SF can provide you with some assistance - if not perhaps a phone call to the prefecture in Bordeaux may be the best bet. Or alternatively like many Brits l know you may want to wait until Brexit is resolved, or not, and then follow the laid down protocols. In any event Bonne Chance.

1 Like

Just FYI - Barbara is still a member and was online today. I am sure she will see this post and feel inclined to help even if she doesn’t feel inclined to post at the moment!

The answer regardless of what its for Carte Vitale CDS etc is that in theory they should accept any EU document in its original form - that’s an EU agreement. That’s the theory - in practice it depends on the individual/department and how much you feel like arguing. I argued the case for my CV and they backed down - they point blank refused to back down over my partners documents in Bulgarian - we finally settled on one document translated the rest in Bulgarian. In theory I was right - in practice it was simpler to play their game and get them translated.

Outside of the EU they can insist/will probably insist on translated documents

1 Like

So sorry - but l assumed that when Barbara said goodbye she was saying ‘goodbye’ and would not be replying to any more posts or contributing herself, that’s why l responded to Kean. In the same vein l assumed Bill and Babeth Morgan took their leave of SF last week but no doubt that’s ‘fake news’ too.

No worries ! It did sound like that. All I am going to say is that if I had a euro for everytime someone flounces off and then returns, I would be very rich indeed. (Or at least better off than I am!) :wink:

3 Likes

Many thanks for the response Chris. Hopefully I will have the documents from the UK accepted without translation. The marriage certificate in Thai may prove a little more troublesome!

My remaining concern is that they want the originals of my birth certificate and marriage certificate and since the application has to be submitted by registered post I will not have the option to wait in person for them to photocopy and return them to me immediately which I guess was the case with your CV request? The helpline did confirm that they would not be held for the potential two year duration of the process but how quickly we will get them back I don’t know.

While there have been numerous contributions on this forum from Brits considering their options I haven’t come across anyone who has recently gone through the naturalisation process to ask for their experience.

Can’t say much more than above really - all our documents were copies or sent via e mail - but thats for a CV not naturalisation. The Thai document will definitely need a translation - the rest well as I say there’s a theory and there’s practice.

Hi Kean

I know that, at one time, our Mairie would do a photo copy, then stamp it with the official Mairie thingy
 and sign the document to say it was a copy of the original document

It might be worth going down this route. I have never sent an original document, by post, anywhere in France.

It certainly makes me uneasy to release original documents into the system (French or otherwise) which may be crucial at a later date for other applications such as extension of my wife’s right to stay in France in 2020 after the initial 5 year period of her titre de sejour expires. I’m still collecting the various supporting documents so will give your suggestion some thought.

Many thanks!

It is my first post re the carte de séjour - I was surprised that there is not a SFN section of the subject.
Anyway, i have a question: the government site says that the very first thing to do is to go to the prefecture in order to commence proceedings. Can this really be the case?. I ask this in all seriousness because just about every other thing we do now in France MUST be done via the internet.
regards

Depends entirely on the Prefecture. Check with yours. The Dordogne -you go online to book a Rdv {when there are any available } and go to your Rdv with your dossier. For others you have to email for Rdv, or send your dossier in by post or just turn up and wait. There is no set way-thus is France!

It depends on which department. In my department you have to apply for an appointment by email, in the neighbouring department it’s by phone yet others allow appoints to be made in person.

“Just turn up and wait
”

This was procedure at St Lo (Préfecture Manche) and in April my wife and I handed in our separate dossiers to the same official simultaneously who dealt with us as a couple.

Sihe didn’t give us any paper acknowledgement, and we’ve heard nothing since. Just keeping fingers crossed and trusting the system, which seems bureaucratic but thorough.

Something tells me that the local office is waiting to see whether a reciprocal UK/EU agreement on residential entitlement will be ratified, and what its precise form will be, before making a decision; and that’s perhaps the pragmatic way to behave.

Had our appointments at Agen three weeks ago and now got a letter telling us to collect the CdS which are ready. Very efficient in Lot et Garonne.

Hi I know that sfn have covered this before

You all talk about taking your dossiers with you?

What do these dossiers entail please :joy:

At my workplace I have found a copy of of my old cds
yipeee

What else will I need?

Many thanks :pray:

Ann
 this link does give several lists and French gov stuff if you read it through
hope it helps
 click on the link
 then read the various posts within

We have just had the letter to go and collect ours from Macon.
Feeling a lttle less worried, but when you have a PM who refuses to recall Parliament over such a major constitutional concern, it totally beggars belief.

2 Likes

Many thanks Stella I will be using this for my visit to prefecture draguignan :joy: