Confirmed Britons will need a carte de sejour!

People might want to compare the application for a CdS whilst being from an EU country and applying as being from a non EU country (after March 2019)

I lived and worked in Paris for nine years before the UK joined. I had to have a Carte de SĂ©jour then so it is only logical that the same will apply post Brexit. Back then, and even with the support of my employers, who had enough influence for me to be able to queue jump, it was a major hassle. Hours spent in long queues at the prefecture, lots of paperwork etc etc and it took for ever.

I renewed my current carte de sĂ©jour earlier this year and it took one visit to the prefecture, where I had an appointment and was out of there 15 minutes later, and a second visit a couple of weeks later to pick up the new “permanent” card, which took five minutes.

Do it now, people. You know it makes sense. It won’t do any harm to have one even if it turns out you don’t need it (unlikely) and it will be a whole lot harder to get one post Brexit.

Husband and I bought a property February 2018 so have only lived here for six months. We have not had to submit a tax return yet but have received our Carte Vitale. Are we eligible to apply for a CdS ? I perhaps mistakenly thought five years residence was necessary.

You can apply for a CDS after five years of residency, close the door on your way out please.:grinning:

1 Like

Linda may not have the right details but Tim that was really rude must be the heat
oh no possibly not.

2 Likes

Addressed to Tim and Tim only?

1 Like

We’ve been here for three years and applied last May. Our applications and dossiers were accepted but we’ve heard nothing since and weren’t issued with a receipt. By all accounts the staff have been overwhelmed with applications, so decision are likely to be slow.

In your own case, you may find that your application will not go through until you have a tax statement to show your tax status in France, and/or evidence that your income is adequate to support you here.

In our small town there is a Centre d’Animation et de Services which is a gateway to many important Government services offering ready advice and support in accessing services, and some have a booth where you can be put in touch remotely with people in your PrĂ©fecture by video link.

You might check this out in your locality. The Marie is usually helpful too in pointing to sources of help. It just requires patience and acceptance that bureaucracy in France is slow, generally thorough and with a human face, but expects Ă  respectful approach to members of staff.

1 Like

It was a joke Barbara as well you know and indicated by the emoji, when you are a moderator then you have the right to jump on me, until that time please try and refrain from chastising my comments aimed at other people.

1 Like

Hi Lindy
 work your way through this link
 or search the Forum
 CdS has been a hot topic for ages now

useful link:

yes life is too short!
Brexit is not gossip it is a man made mess.
And some of us want to find a way out.

Looks like wait and see then as tax statement not due in until end of May. Fingers crossed expats are taken into consideration.

Not at all Babs, if you retort in a humorous way fine otherwise you must expect something different.

I accept people are worried about what will happen to them after Brexit but some common sense is needed here, mass deportation is not going to ensue after March 2019 or December 2020.

3 Likes

Hi Terry. what was the cost for the “permanent” card
 and did you pay upfront or on collection of the card. ??

@lindy the general feeling amongst those on this site with longer experience than me is not to worry, the French are not ill-disposed to the British and are unlikely to expel people who have made their homes here in good faith and have “done the right thing” by French rules.

As relative newcomers we thought it seemed prudent to lay down a marker of our intentions, and the local administrations helped and even encouraged us to do so. It was only after we had been to the Préfecture that we realised how much extra work we had given them. The first time we went to St Lo we were turned away at the main door (very good naturedly) because the office was dangerously overcrowded, and no more could be admitted with the hope of being seen!

You seem to be very organised already with your shiny new Carte Vitale, so relax and take your time. All being well in 10 years you’ll be guiding others in the ways of wisdom on these matters :grinning:

Thank you all for your replies. Will carry on enjoying life and working on our house.

1 Like

Good luck @lindy and keep in touch now and then :relaxed:

I suppose I must have paid something, Stella, but I don’t remember. Which suggests it wasn’t very much. If I paid anything at all. By the way, the “permanent” card - well that’s what it says on the card! - is valid 10 years
 Which amused me hugely. I’ll see if I can trace the payment.

Yep
 I’m getting confused
 CdSĂ©jour Permanente is gratuit
 I’m getting confused between CdS Permanent and C de Resident Permanent which the govt site says costs 269€

While we are at it
 can anyone outline the differences in the 2 Cartes ??? (in simple language please, as brains are melting )
:relaxed::open_mouth::thinking:

Both the French and the Brits have a fear of returning nationals.
The French because they have no jobs for them and the Brits because an influx of more geriatrics needing NHS treatment.
Michael Morpurgo gave a very lucid, as one would expect, argument for changing our mind and staying in the EU on the Opinion programme on radio 4 this morning.

2 Likes

I’m asking myself the same question Stella. Couldn’t find a clear answer. A bit confusing :dizzy_face: