Confirmed Britons will need a carte de sejour!

But you have added to the position. The sentence that I read from the British Embassy did not actually tell anybody to apply for a CdS, it told they to prepare the paperwork to enable them to do so.

At the moment you can only apply for a Carte de Sejour UE or a Carte de Sejour UE Permanent depending on whether you have lived in France for 5 years or more. Doing that is a wise thing to do - it is simple and costs nothing.

We don’t yet know what the procedure will be after an agreed Brexit. The draft exit agreement says that there will be a simple and inexpensive procedure.

If, as seems likely, the UK crashes out of the EU without an exit agreement having a Carte de Sejour UE, whether permanent or not, cannot do any harm. The EU, and its member states, cannot legally ignore the last 43 years, my experience over the past 20 odd years suggests that they would not even try to do so.

People living “below the radar” and that includes UK retirees who have not declared themselves to the French authorities (tax, social services, etc.) would be well advised to regularise their situation “tout de suite”.

Grahame.

1 Like

Er, isn’t that what I’ve tried to get over to you?

Tim,

assuming that your response has been triggered by my post , then I think that is what you have been saying.

In Brexit parlance, nothing is agreed until everything has been agreed.

Has everybody read the draft exit agreement?

How many have been to local meetings where somebody from the UK & NI Embassy has been present?

Grahame.

Well we could trade quotes all day long. A headline in the Connection special magazine Brexit and Britons in France, across two pages, reads “We encourage Britons to apply for residency cards - UK ambassador”
The body of the article further quotes “In the meantime, we would encourage eligible UK nationals to prepare your papers . . . to demonstrate your continued residency in France and to apply for a carte de sĂ©jour”.
Perhaps Edward Llewellyn has been hopelessly misquoted by an incompetent journalist, but many British expats will be following this advice now.

Tim,

how is what I am saying “trading quotes”?

Interested to know how many on here have read the draft exit agreement and how many have attended meeting around France where the U.K. & N.I. embasy in Paris has had people present.

Grahame.

Grahame, hello, I think that maybe you are reacting to some posts that are not in response to yours.
For example Tim Clayton is responding to Aquitaine and not you.
If you click on a response on the upper right of a post then you will see the original post and who is responding to what!
Hope that makes sense, took me a while to figure out too ! :wink:

Read that quote to yourself carefully and notice the syntax.

1 Like

Tim, Timmy, Timpani :slightly_smiling_face:, you are justa pretty insensitive soul :cry:

Or maybe an honest one :wink:

1 Like

:thinking: You need to use profane remarks/abbreviations to be “Honest”, I don’t think so :slightly_smiling_face:
Bit early teen, adolescent language, Iwould have thought. :wink:

Not sure where you are coming from or going to with this comment Bill. Whose post are you responding to please ?

:wink:

we do not always see eye to eye!
way hey I watch out for those who wink!
I wonder sometimes is honesty gets muddled with sarcasm.
That is me being honest.

1 Like

Ann,

thanks for that explanation.

But isn’t Tim responding to the totality of the dialogue on this topic?

If responses aren’t doing that not sure what the point is having a thread rather than single posts and answers.

Best,

Grahame.

At the moment you can only apply for a Carte de Sejour UE or a Carte de Sejour UE Permanent depending on whether you have lived in France for 5 years or more. Doing that is a wise thing to do - it is simple and costs nothing.

We don’t yet know what the procedure will be after an agreed Brexit. The draft exit agreement says that there will be a simple and inexpensive procedure.

If, as seems likely, the UK crashes out of the EU without an exit agreement having a Carte de Sejour UE, whether permanent or not, cannot do any harm. The EU, and its member states, cannot legally ignore the last 43 years, my experience over the past 20 odd years suggests that they would not even try to do so.

People living “below the radar” and that includes UK retirees who have not declared themselves to the French authorities (tax, social services, etc.) would be well advised to regularise their situation “tout de suite”.

Grahame.

1 Like

Interested to know how many on here have read the draft exit agreement and how many have attended meetings around France where the U.K. & N.I. embassy in Paris has had people present.

Grahame.

Graham
 I’m not sure why, but it seems that some of your posts are coming onto the Forum twice
 :thinking:

Stella,

probably because Ann Woods suggested that if I simply reply to the latest poster it doesn’t get my post on the “thread”.

Do we just reply to the latest poster or to we have to reply to the OP?

Best,

Grahame.

BTW, has anybody read the draft exit agreement and/or attended meetings attended by representatives of the U.K. & N.I. Embassy in France?

1 Like

Grahame
 if you click on “reply” at the bottom of a post (it’s in grey) then whatever you write will be linked to the post to which your reply refers

cheers