Confirmed Britons will need a carte de sejour!

Looks a bit ‘greenish’, rightish ?

Could people aim their replies at the correct Tim please, thanks awfully.

Excellent Babeth… thanks… hopefully this will stop folk getting in a twist …:slightly_smiling_face:

And a bit purple on the left. That’s because the colour palette has been cropped to exclude the two extremes. Different people will have different opinions about where the colour blue stars or ends on both the left and right of the centre.

Aha… Bill… bearing in mind you and I are using different “appliances”… I reckon if you click onto the “dot: Tracking” it will open up possible choices for you to make.

Normal, Watching, Tracking, Muted…

You can choose whichever you like for each thread… eg: I sometimes “mute” those which do not interest me in the slightest… Threads which are particularly interesting I mark “tracking” so that I can follow them, even if I don’t want to reply/rarely reply.

Do you get my drift… ??:relaxed:

Assemblée Nationale - British people living in France and Brexit. You can click on “Mme Agnès Fontana” on the right hand side to go directly to the section where she is speaking about what France is doing about this : http://videos.assemblee-nationale.fr/video.5570834_5a85889d7f87b.negociations-liees-au-brexit--impact-du-brexit-sur-les-droits-et-avantages-des-citoyens-europeens-15-fevrier-2018?timecode=3551234

and from you in English what is France doing about this?

1 Like

Very brief notes from part of the 2.5hr Assemblée Nationale Commission round table back in February 2018 where the British in Europe and the 3M were represented. I have noticed that a link to this video is included at the top of this thread. So anyone can listen and draw their own conclusions. No guarantee that I have perfectly understood the whole lot. But anyway, in English as requested, in no particular order… The Interior Ministry is starting from the principle of preserving the rights that people already have. So fwith 5 years valid residence in France, a person should retain the right to stay. Not all rights can be preserved however. The right to vote cannot be given to a 3rd country national. Only acquisition of French nationality will do that - there is no problem in France with dual nationality. 70 - 80% of applications are successful. In 2016 UK nationals were at position 38 for French nationality applications. In 2017 they had risen to 12th. As we know, EU citizens don’t need to have a carte de séjour, so the Ministry of the Interior is recommending that British people who have lived legally in France for over 5 years apply for a carte de séjour permanent (10 years) before Brexit to make it straightforward, post Brexit, to prove valid residence. They are not taking on more staff to cope with the extra work. It looks like the French plan to replace the EU style carte de séjour with a French equivalent. They do propose that people will be able to build up their 5 years during the transition period (if there is one). But there are lots of uncertainties and reciprocity is also a factor. The Withdrawal agreement has not yet been agreed, signed and ratified. For people with less than 5 years residence, no rights are defined. Voilà.

A transcript here to put through Google Translate : http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/15/cr-brexit/17-18/c1718003.asp#P6_747

As a newcomer to this process and having only been here as a resident for the past two years (post-Brexit panic!), I do not fit into the categories you have been discussing, but I have found it hugely usefui, so thank you everyone very much!

I am interested in the link that Mandy(?) posted early on, where the particular law quoted talked about people who had been in France “régulièrement” for 10 years, as opposed to “habituellement”. As I have have a (frequently visited) house here for nearly 30 years, I wonder if that applies to me… Not looking for an answer, just wondering!

2 Likes

Your residency and any associated permancy rights will start from the time you arrived in the country intending to stay. This date will be followed by your registering any vehicles you brought with you, entering the health system and eventually completing a tax return. Holidays and other visits do not count. That’s a shame because I have spent time in France every year since 1963.

2 Likes

I think that you are mis-translating régulièrement, in the link it is always paired with the word réside, as réside régulièrement. I believe that you would like to it to mean regularly as you have visited regularly when in fact it means lived properly, ie fulfilling the requirements for residency.

1 Like

Régulièrement is not completely equivalent to the English word regularly.

Wordreference offers three senses of meaning - at constant intervals, in a constant manner and conforming to a set of rules (though giving an incorrect example of this meaning).

Larousse gives 4 meanings of which the first, to be fair, is as clear as mud. I mean what the heck does “Cette montre marche régulièrement” mean? - this watch works regularly??1

I digress :slight_smile:

David is correct - it is the French meaning of conforming to “the rules” (or the law) which is the one which applies to residency requirements.

It is this type of thing, by the way, which makes me despair of ever learning French well - I know about 0.0001% of these subtleties in the language and life is just too short to learn them all.

1] Ah-ha, got it with a bit of help from the WordReference back translation. “This watch is working normally” would appear to be the required translation, it corresponds to a usage of regularly in English which, I think, is completely archaic.

I think that we often focus on the definition that suits us best. The recent recommendation made by the British Embassy is another good example of that; many people would like it to say one thing but others think it says something quite different.

English is just as confusing and subtle. I’ve just read a post on another platform where the word posted has been used twice in one sentence; the first time meaning to publish something on an internet site and the second to mean relocated by the armed forces.

‘Ian who posted in reply to my comment was posted to Cyprus at the same time as you were there.’

1 Like

Cette montre marche régulièrement = it works properly, it does what you expect, it neither speeds up nor slows down in an unexpected fashion, the intervals between winding sessions/battery changes remain the same.
It obeys the unwritten rules for watches about being fit for purpose etc.

Thanks Veronique :slight_smile:

Thank you so much everyone! As you say - it’s not what I want it to mean but the translations do make sense… I shall get better at French eventually (fingers and toes crossed)…

At the moment, I’m just hoping that, one way or another, Ii’ll be able to stay here. I do so love it and wish I had sone this years earlier:persevere:

Why do you not like me Carol? Is it because I have an answer for most things and my views appear to be different to yours? Or is it because I do not have a fling with the sherry bottle or the Pineau?
But I do have to say that you really do not know me…and this little outburst has come out of the blue.
No, I am sure that you will get away with it…most people do.

I presume that you are addressing me as Babs in the hope of starting a small war…no chance!

Hello Carol, we haven’t seen you here for a while. How are you? Are you still having treatment?