Considering changing our car to a lease car (LLD). Any tips, hints or comments from other LLD owners?

I’ve tried, but no luck so far. However, they do say that learning other languages is one of the best defences against dementia…

3 Likes

in bocca al lupo!

I even needed good old Deepl for that one! Thanks Andrew :smiley:

1 Like

After our first ever breakdown we are considering giving up on second hand cars. The problem with our car is not serious but the car is so old new parts are hard to get so we will be stuck without a car for several weeks. So I 'd be interested to know if anyone on this thread has gone for a lease hold car. This might suit us because after four years we may no longer be able to drive anyway. So has anyone else yet gone for a lease hold car?

We have just finalised today - 4 years for a second hand Renault Kadjar. Never thought to do something like this but the manager in our local Renault garage said that some 80% of their business now is lease hold.

That’s interesting especially as I thought it was only available on new cars. So the big advantage is the warranty and the ability to afford a higher spec car than otherwise? The disadvantage is that you have paid very little back after 4 years of payments?

Basically you’re paying the depreciation, rather than paying something back. It never bothered me while leasing but I know some get a bit twitchy about never actually owning the car. It’s a depreciating asset so ownership can be overrated, especially if you can’t do your own maintenance so driving older cars can get expensive.

The thing is that you pay the depreciation, and the profit for the lender just as you would for a loan. No leasing deal I’ve ever looked at was better than traditional HP and both are worse than buying the car outright - though obviously only a few can manage that.

Not too say it isn’t the right choice on some circumstances and it avoids having capital tired up in a depreciating asset but I would advise people to look at total cost of ownership as well as the monthly payment.

Very much this. I think I’ve mentioned before that I first leased because it was cheaper than running the, fully paid for, car that I had at the time.