Controle Technique - again

I am supposed to be going to collect a 1980 Peugeot 504 pick up on Monday. It is ‘apparently’ in good repair and I plan to drive it home…about 400kms.
I have some experience of these matters but am getting conflicting advice and wondered what response or help I could gain here.
There are two points really…
The vendor (hardly surprisingly) says that I can drive it home without a CT providing that I have insurance. I have heard this before but believe that you also have to have at least made an appointment for a CT. Whether or not this can be 400 kms away at your local garage or it has to be around the corner from the purchase I do not know? My French buddy further says that even if you do get pulled over by the gendarmes they are generally sympathetic to collectable vehicles and it would be a fine at the worst.

The second point is that because I may have to take the FFVE route can I even make an appointment for a CT if I have not yet immatriculated the vehicle in my name.

Finally to anyone who has or has had a 504 pickup…they are very robust and fairly simple machines. On this particular one the cab floor has supposedly been repaired. I shall see.
The owner says there is some rust on the chassis so welding will likely be required. Is there any rule of thumb as to when this particular chassis is too far gone? Any critical weak spots etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice either from the admin or mechanical side.

As far as I am aware… a Vehicle should NOT be sold without a CT… (even a classic).

Prior 1960’s only require a CT at point of sale…

Vehicles after 1960… the CT should have been carried out LESS THAN 6 months before the sale…
the CT document is part and parcel of the Sale… so the Seller should organize it…

best of luck…


You’re right, of course, Stella.
In order to effect the transfer on ANTS you need to have a valid CT. There are exceptions but not in this case.
Here’s a link to confirm.
Izzy x

The Seller is supposed to do the CT to avoid the Buyer buying something which turns out to be a pig in a poke…

supposed to do away with claims for vice caché etc… no-one should accept a vehicle without the proper documents… it’s asking for trouble.

And… it gets a vehicle, which may have been without CT for whatever reason… back into the Testing station… and back into the Records…

We bought a classic car years ago… the Seller came with us to the CT centre and the car was tested on the spot…

Had it turned out to need more doing than we already knew… the Sale would not have gone ahead…

but the onus is on the Seller…and Buyer Beware… you have not a leg to stand on if you accept things which do not comply with the rules…

A car for Sale… does not need to Pass a CT… but it does need to have one… that’s the nub.



Rereading your post… I can see the sense (perhaps) of the Seller not wanting to do the CT…

Any responsible CT Testing Station will answer ALL your queries… re the Vehicle…
mchanics, rust, weak spots etc etc
simply by doing the Test itself… :upside_down_face: :zipper_mouth_face:

However… you should not drive a vehicle which does not have a CURRENT CT.
If the CT is out of date… over due… whatever you like to call it… you will be in the wrong if you drive said vehicle home… and Seller is in the wrong for selling said vehicle to you…
but yours is the “greater” wrong… if you take it on the road.

The only way out is to go straight from the Seller to the nearest CT Station to have it tested immediately. (you’d need to arrange this in advance)

best of luck

frankly, the Seller sounds like some folk I know… but I do not like… :zipper_mouth_face:

How do you do if I want to buy a renovation project that can’t pass a ct


As I have already said…

When you buy the vehicle you will most certainly need the CG and ‘Certificat de Cession’ in the name of and signed by the previous owner to transfer the motor into your name.

If you do not have this you will almost certainly need to take the FFVE route for which you will need the CG in some form, even if one or two previous owners ago, plus a bill of sale clearly stating that the vehicle has been sold to you as is on such and such a date. I am certainly not an authority on FFVE matters but I know from friends that every case is taken on its own merits. Some applications can be smooth and others very tiresome but eventually they all seem to get through providing the vehicle has not been stolen, previously exported or written off etc.

Anyway, going back a stage…if you have the CG and cerfa form signed and dated by the previous owner you open a ‘Demarche’ on the website. As well as these two papers you will also need a form of identification and a CT certificate. If you do not have the latter you can download the ‘Certificat d’identification’ which will allow the CT inspector to correctly identify the vehicle and control it accordingly. Whether the car passes or fails you can then submit this to complete the registration in your name. You can then get on with your renovation. If as is likely your renovation takes longer than the two months permitted for a contre visite then you will need to start the CT cycle again when ready but you will at least have fulfilled the statutory one month timescale to register the vehicle in your name as Stella mentioned above.

I bought the truck, arranged the insurance and drove it home. I have a CT booked for Thursday and the examiner I use said that the CG in the previous owners name was all he needed to test the car and the ‘Certificat d’identification’ was not required.

I know two people who have been stopped recently without CT and although it is of course usually a fineable offence (i believe about 135 euros) they were both cautioned and let off because the gendarmes were either in an extremely good mood or aware of the covid related backlog. As I said above I managed to get an appointment in two days, possibly because I take several of my cars there, but I know that there can presently be a wait of a couple of weeks or more in certain areas.

Incidentally there is a stage in the immatriculation process when they ask if you have the code for the cession. This is granted to the previous owner when he files his paperwork and records that he has sold the vehicle to you. He then passes said code to you. This is the route I have always taken previously but they do give an option if you do not have the code. I am expecting to receive said code tonight but if it is not forthcoming then I will have to enter ‘no’ and take the other route.

So where there is a will there is always a way and although I apologise for the long winded response I hope that my input and Stella’s advice has been of help.