Cookies that aint sweet

They are annoying, and it doesn’t seem to make a difference if you, “accept” them or not, I still get the rubbish that they advertise. Is it something that I’m doing wrong.

Please treat me like a baby, in your replies, I can copy and paste but not much else :+1:

If yiu accept them you supposedly get things that are more relevant. So if you do lots of searches for DIY stuff you’ll get those sort of ads. If you don’t accept them you’ll get any old rubbish - fluffy slippers, dog toys, anything!

Thanks Jane, it seems that even when there are no cookies to refuse, I still get the adverts. I fully understand that this is not the crime of the century (well to me it is :grinning:) and I’m a bit ignorant with computers, but where is the logic in the advertisers mind, that thinks, that I wont be peed off and not buy their product. Because I wont

You need an adblocker installed. I dont’ see any ads anywhere!

ETA of course I still get the annoying cookie messages!

2 Likes

You’ll still get adverts with most search engines and browsers whatever you decide about cookies.

However, if you ‘accept’ cookies, the adverts will relate to your personal search history and souls (may?) therefore be relevant to your needs.

Refuse the cookies, and you’ll get just as many ads but they will be gathered from all corners of they internet…

1 Like

Thanks Brian, I suppose, at least if I want Dewalt tools, I’ll get them.

And toryroo, thanks also, I was told I did have an add blocker, but things have got a lot worse just lately.
If only it had a Co/Co2 ratio, I might be able to adjust it :rofl:

I use Ghostery as a browser add-on, to block trackers and ads. Works well for me.

1 Like

Gettin a screen free from adverts and other nonsense takes a while. There are many ways of doing it: here’s mine.

1. Install the Mozilla Firefox browser
  2. Install an extension called Multi-Account Containers (it’s provided by Firefox)
  3. If you use Facebook, install Facebook Container
  4. Install an ad blocker (or more than one). I use AdBlocker Ultimate and uBlock Origin

Only step 4 is an answer to the question you asked, and ad blockers are available for every browser, including the one you’re using at the moment (I think it’s Edge, isn’t it?).

Facebook Container keeps Facebook’s cookies in one place, away from the other things you do. It makes it harder for Facebook to track you. It’s not an ad blocker in itself.

Multi-Account Containers does a similar sort of thing, but for cookies from other sites. You can set it up so that you do all your shopping in one “container”, and your banking in another.

1 Like

Many thanks Porridge, You’re right it is Edge, thats amazing. See how little I know. I’ll take note of your suggestion thank you, but I’ll enlist some help to do it. My son calls about once a month, he’ll be the one to do it. Again, thanks, Mr(or Mrs) P :+1:

It was a pure guess :slight_smile: based on nothing more than what you said about knowing nothing about computers

1 Like