Cost of replacing glass for a wood burner

My glass broke in my Villager Woodburner - size 16cms x 18cms Price (sit down and have a stiff drinking standing by!!!) 140€ from Leroy Merlin. I was mortified - horrified - dismayed - but I need my glass to have my woodburner working again. My friend talked to the Manager thinking he had been charged for the whole sheet - but NO. Do we have Trading Standards over here as the price is way over - UK price average £21 but having it posted was out of the question.

Thia OAP is not happy !

Is the item not available on amazon.de, because they have an English-language website and a huge range of items not locally available. Their service is, as one might expect from a Germany-based enterprise, ‘world class’. :belgium::checkered_flag::v:

Hello Rosemary

Just wondering where did you buy the Villager Woodburner from… and why could they not supply the replacement glass ???

Are you able to claim against your House/contents Insurance policy… ???

Get it sent from the UK or try a different DIY shop.

What is the description of the glass panel which Leroy Merlin offer ?? As there are obviously different prices for different “sorts” of glass… :thinking:

The suppliers of my Wood Burner are retired . Waiting to hear about House Insurance - have submitted a claim - fingers crossed.

Leroy Merlin were informed it was for a Wood Burner and I am imagine I am not the first to buy the glass suitable for a woodburner. As for buying from the UK - little risky I think, I need it now and it could easily arrived broken and then back to square one.

OH has just reminded me that our local quincaillerie charged 100 € for a replacement glass panel on a friend’s insert… but that was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Obviously there are websites that will cut and send… but if an instant fix is needed… seems there is a price to pay… :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

Where do you live Rosemary?

Rosemary…

To be clear… did you pay the price and are you now snug and warm…???

or are you looking elsewhere to buy the glass at a better price ???

22460 Le Qiillio

Our Bricomarché used to offer a service where you took the door of the fire in, they cut the glass and fitted it, along with the sealing ‘string’ .
As I am now on central heating I don’t know if this is still on offer.

verre-insert.fr is what we use. Just find your make and model, and they will have the glass. Received ours within a couple of days and a perfect fit.

3 Likes