Cost of using Urgences at the hospital

I’m sorry you’ve had such bad news. It must be a big shock for you and your wife. I hope you get a proper diagnosis as soon as possible so that you both know what you are dealing with.

Sending my best wishes to you both.

Oh pants - that sounds tough all round. Remember to look after yourself so you can look after her - so important. Best of luck Jim!

Sorry to hear what you’re going through.

I was stretchered into Dreux hospital a couple of years ago, before I moved here permanently, and was in for a day and a half before they discovered why I couldn’t move: acute rheumatoid arthritis. I was then on a drip for four days and in hospital for another week and a half.

It cost; about £1,000 if I remember correctly, which was my 20%. The EHIC dispensed with any other payment (that’s different from the treatment at doctors and pharmacies where you pay the 100% and reclaim it afterwards, I think).

However, the treatment I received was superb, including every test they could throw at me to ensure my treatment was spot on and the diagnosis was complete. Dreux is a public hospital in a not particularly wealthy town, by the way - built in the 60s or 70s - not a brand new prestige place. Now I’ve moved here I am still with the same doctor and he has me back to 90% of normal.

I can sympathise with your never being able to get hold of the doctor. Ward visits never happen at the time they are supposed to! On the other hand as an outpatient I am used to seeing ny doctor holding his door open for me exactly on time , so it does get easier once you’re out of your hospital bed.

All the best to you both.

I would have thought that a ruptured spleen would count as life threatening, in which case there would be no charge. My husband was taken into hospital when he was unable to pass water due to a prostate problem and he wasn’t charged.

I don’t understand why your reply was linked to my comment about EHIC cards after Brexit but I thought that 100% was paid for ALDs not surgery that was to cure a life saving emergency. A holidaymaker using an EHIC Card would be expected to contribute thec20% as previously explained.

Margaret

We do not get charged, directly that is… whenever Hospital is involved whether through Pompiers or by appointment…whether it concerns ALD or just routine stuff…

At point of entry, we hand over the Carte Vitale and Mutuelle information… and the Hospital deals with them… :relaxed::relaxed:

If you have CV+Mutuelle… perhaps that is why you/your husband do not get charged…:thinking::wink:

My lovely wife is now trying to put some weight on, though the drugs are making her nauseous. Can I ask what ALD is? We have 15 days of prescription drugs and then on the 8 June have a rdv with the surgeon. Hoping for results by then.

Basically it is a long-term medical condition that falls within certain parameters… Affection Long Durée.

The Doctor has to make the proposal that the Patient is covered totally for all medical expenses (within a certain tariff) to do with said medical condition… This Proposal has then to be officially “agreed” at a higher level… before the Attestation is given… It lasts for about 5 years I think and can be renewed by the Doc …

1 Like

@Jim_Morgan

This link is very informative… but, of course, only applies to folk within the French Health System… (as far as I am aware)

Jim… might I suggest you have a word with UK (perhaps you have already)… and also the French Hospital… to figure out what, if anything you are going to have to pay up front…

1 Like

You’re spot on Stella.

Thank you for explaining ALD. I have been in touch with our Surgery in Wales, who are very happy to have my wife cared for here. As for the EHIC people, they do not know much more than me, they did say I should keep all receipts and claim on our return.

2 Likes

Hope your wife makes a good recovery… and that you can both enjoy what is left of your holiday… :relaxed:

1 Like

Quite a few years ago, I successfully did that for emergency dental treatment in France Jim, good luck, hope all works out ok :rose: