Could anyone tell me what this thing is..?

Unexploded ordnance?

Had the same thought, John. But the link doesnā€™t look quite right.

My guess is a WW2 mortar with the fins missing/corroded.

Or an egg from a centre of the earth iron monster!

2 Likes

Did you call the Gendarmerie @Monica_Sarthe ? have you found out what it is yet?

Jamesā€¦ she is not back at that house yetā€¦ I am confused as I thought she was pursuing the matter immediatelyā€¦ but noā€¦ we wait with bated breathā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry all, the gendarmes are coming tomorrow afternoon! I went in today and one guy said itā€™s possibly something explosive and the other said possibly a clock weight or some agricultural weight, but theyā€™ll visit tomorrow. No worries about anybody stumbling on it; we are very remote. Weā€™re surrounded by our fields and very much off the beaten track. Weā€™ve only owned the house for two weeks too! Week one, we discovered a swarm of honey bees living in what will be our young daughterā€™s bedroom. Week two we have the unidentified wotnot. So far, weā€™ve been kept busy!! But still, sorry to keep everyone waitingā€¦

2 Likes

I was!! But the distance between old and new property, coupled with our guests staying longer than I thought, totally threw me for six! We have 5/6 days left until we want to move in and we are so behind scheduleā€¦ thereā€™s two houses on site, one has all the electricity and the other has all the water, neither have both. Itā€™s a fun place to be at the moment, but a good (tiring) adventure!!

2 Likes

Monicaā€¦ we camped in one roomā€¦ vague electrics from the 12th century :wink: and one cold water tapā€¦ but at least under the same roof. :slight_smile:
It took us 2 years to get running hot waterā€¦ :smiley:

Letā€™s hope your thingy will be something safeā€¦ best of luckā€¦

3 Likes

I googled and found this doesnā€™t look exactly the same but I would cover it from extreme sun today

It might be a beumb, but it is euld and probablement so euld as to be nussing to have ze worries with.
Zer again, poosible still vivant - zo increase maison insurance and that of any living peoples dans le batiment.
Move away and 'ear ze nid oeuf boom into trƩs comfortable retrait fund.

4 Likes

Go away Officer Crabtree!

I think we will be doing similarly! Our electrics and plumbing are pretty recent but thereā€™s a few hurdles to jump before everything will work. Plus, the main house is completely filthy (uninhabited for a couple of years at leastā€¦) so Iā€™m spending a lot of time just hoovering and mopping and remopping!

1 Like

So, I have no update. The gendarmes arranged to come on Sunday afternoon but came on Sunday morning, when I wasnā€™t thereā€¦ a local farmer passed by and said heā€™s pretty sure itā€™s an old weight, but heā€™s put it on our field edge as a precaution and I still await the Gendarmes. I dug up part of an old bridle, very thick leather, and a lovely pick axe handle the other day (in a very different area to the ā€œbombā€ ) so I think Iā€™ m probably going to keep finding treasures!

1 Like

any update @Monica_Sarthe ??

If this sort of thing is still lingering in Englandā€¦ who knows what else is lingering in France.

Hello! Sorry, Iā€™m living with the worst of rural Franceā€™s internet connections here, plus I forgot my password, which doesnā€™t helpā€¦ So, a local wise man came by and picked up the thing and said itā€™s an old farm weight, then promptly pulled off the little bit at the end that looked like a grenade pin, and then finished with, ā€œJe pense.ā€ So, weā€™ve left it be and since then I have uncovered all manner of farm materials (I should really take a photo-there is so muchā€¦). I dug up an entire metal cart wheel and a beautiful old tractor seat, so I think itā€™s probably another piece of farming stuff that has been left to rot here. Thank so for all the responses though!

2 Likes