Countries Border Control re Covid

Should athletes be exempt from border control criteria? When individuals can’t attend funerals or celebrate life events with family and friends, or entre their own country’s borders due to specific Covid restrictions, is it morally or ethically acceptable that athletes do not have to comply?

2 Likes

That’s not really the question….

Somebody gave him an exemption based on something that might be a lie….were those morally acceptable actions?

2 Likes

The real issue is that the somebody who gave him the exemption wasn’t empowered to give him an exemption.

What I like about this is that nobody comes out of it well. Regional government overstepped (having been warned twice not to do so) , National Border Force overstepped and bullied him (I wonder what they do to “lesser” people), National Government slyly tried to delay the court case so that he missed the draw and there was no point in him staying and his Agent should have done the research (as any of us would) and realised that regional approval would not get him into the Country. The hysterics of the Serbian President and the player’s Mummy and Daddy only added to the amusement :joy:

2 Likes

TBH John I find these antics really painful and embarrassing - like watching Laurel and Hardy - where something inside me wants to curl up and die. There they go with the clumsy grandfather clock of prejudice and politics… here comes the car of judicial interpretation that will run it over. It’s just desperately awful.

3 Likes

No.

No-one should be exempt for Covid restrictions.

5 Likes

But medically he has antibodies and more importantly hasn’t tested positive which would be the reason to not allow him in. If you hold multinational games events you have to be prepared for this.

I think the rules are the rules, no exceptions no matter how big their egos.

4 Likes

Agreed sports stars have massive ego’s but they didnt host the event tennis Australia did. And do we really deny the science? Testing negative means odds on negative so there should be no resistance to travel unless you want to be called Macron.

Do we know that?

1 Like

Thats what his lawyers said so they must have the evidence but thats a minor point compared to having tested negative. Its pathetic just like Macrons ramblings, Omicron was already in France as it is in Australia. Stopping the negative tested UK travellers has achieved what in the great French pandemic? The figures in France without the UK have eclipsed the UK figures.

So both countries have jingoistic prats at the helm, so what, it’s not a pissing contest to see who’s is the best covid country :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I love how the family ducked the questions of him going to events after testing positive, the guy is an egotistical twat where winning a tournament at any cost is acceptable to him, being the best is all that matters.

5 Likes

Frankly I don’t care what a racquet waving prat ( :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) and his agent think about the rules. Folow them or piss off would be my view.

2 Likes

Neither do I care about the racquet waiving pratt or his team but those in control of the event have a duty of care to others if he turned up and tested positive then he should have been thrown out period.

If he now tests negative then its ok to travel, having a vaccination wont stop transmission as we all know but reduces the symptoms for the sufferer.

Oh yes, if the lawyers say something it must be true.

(I think not)

3 Likes

I think you’ll find they would be guilty of contempt of court and perjury if they lied.

This was my first thought, and I say that as one :flushed::sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

A lawyer that’s never lied, that’s almost like saying politicians never lie either :yum::laughing:

They after all just actors in a theatre, sometimes they have to show the director their scripts though.

There was a suggestion on the BBC today that Djokovic has posted pictures of himself from both Serbia and Spain in the fortnight prior to travel. In the same article it was said that in order to gain entry to Australia it was not permitted to travel during the previous 14days.

If that is all correct then I cannot imagine he can be allowed to remain.

2 Likes
1 Like