Court rules that residents can refuse Linky meters - Update October 2018

1 Like

Too late for me alasā€¦maybe I can qualify for a rebate :wink::rofl:

1 Like

No probs so far with ours :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ours settled down after itā€™s initial craziness of turning ā€˜touch lampsā€™ on by itself. Was a bit spooky for mum when they came on in her bedroom during the night. :ghost::ghost::laughing:

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t planing on refusing per se - but they would have to get quite lucky to find us in as weā€™re only planning about 10 days at the house in the next three months.

1 Like

Am I alone in looking forward to having one fitted?

1 Like

When they were changed over in our commune there were many 2nd home owners who werenā€™t around, including the French. They still havenā€™t been changed over a couple of years later and no one seems to be bothering so I would just ignore it Paul :wink:

1 Like

Well David I get the impression from previous posts that you are 'technically minded" and embrace new technology :wink: :open_mouth:. A booklet is supplied so I am sure that it will make sense to you and you will be able to link-up to see your daily use and plan around it.
However for someone like me it makes no sense so I ignore it :expressionless:
I do have to say that the chap who fitted it was rather dishy so it made my day :rofl:

1 Like

I donā€™t have strong objections - I do mind the fact that they (apparently) increase the standing charge. If EDF want to change the infrastructure I shouldnā€™t have to pay extra, and I am slightly nervous of the stories that they cut out at half a milliamp over the supply agreement.

The heating pulls enough juice at start up to dim the lights, not sure if that is normal - my emails to the installer fell on deaf ears - but I have seen a couple of people posting online to say they experience the same thing (not necessarily with the same equipment but with other air source heat exchangers).

I have a modern disjoncteur on the EDF panel so I doubt the transient is for very long (it does not cut out) but if the Linky meters are as twitchy as the rumours suggest I might have problems.

I am planning to :slight_smile:

Which reminds me - I must submit the current reading on-line.

1 Like

My friend has just had a house built and she was fighting with Enedis for a while to not have a Linky meter because of the electromagnetic radiation. She gave in eventually but only because they agreed to install it as far away from the house as possible.

You will find that that is quite normal a lot of households get the dimming when the fridge or Freezer kicks in, your heat exchanger works the same way but uses a lot more electricity to get started than a fridge would.

Yep, quite aware of that.

But, based on the voltage dip, I reckon that it could be over 100A inrush which a Linky might not like.

the ā€œTO-DOā€ list includes ā€œstick the clamp meter on the mains and see what the heating actually drawsā€ but itā€™s way below ā€œfinish kitchenā€ and just behind things like ā€œinstall new earth rodā€

No Dave :grin:

1 Like

Now you have confused me.

Sorry, yes that does look confusing - Iā€™m aware that compressor motors can have an inrush current quite a bit higher than their stable running current. Maybe enough to make the lights flicker, especially if the mains arrives on the end of a long cable run.

In my case the fridge is no bother at all but the heating makes the mains drop by about 50V and for about 1/4 to 1/2 a second. As the supply loop resistance is about 0.45 ohms that implies an inrush of roughly 110A - what I would like to know is whether that high is normal.

Now 110A for 1/2 a second would be no bother with something like a C curve 60A breaker which is what I assume the EDF disjoncteur is going to be - well, approximately - and, indeed, I have had no problems with the current supply/disjoncteur but the previous owner only had a 30A supply agreement and, apparently, it would readily trip the breaker on that.

However if the Linky is as twitchy as it is supposed to be I might have problems - especially as we now have a number of higher current items including oven and induction hop which he did not have.

I would still argue that - if it is that twitchy - it is badly designed but I doubt my thoughts will carry much weight with EDF.

1 Like

I am also worried about the over quick to cut off element of these diabolical devices. I am on the lowest tariff which is fine as I am careful with how much I have switched on at any one time but I may get cheesed of with having to run outside in the rain to reset the damned thing because the Chaffe eau element cuts in at the same time as OH is dragging Henry around the lounge with a few things happening in the kitchen. Sure, if I had cash to waste I would open the wallet and bump up to the next higher tariff but thatā€™s not going to happen any time soon. Sadly our commune is not on the list of 680 odd places that can refuse to accept the new meter. I notice on UK TV thereā€™s a campaign commercial saying how you can save money by having one. That is pure rubbish propaganda. All it does is allow you to see what you are using (in real time). The money savings are for the company that can sack the meter readers.

1 Like

Too late for me now and at the minute Iā€™m pretty pissed off about itā€¦I thought I had until 2019 before enedis would be covering my commune and was actively looking into how to refuseā€¦then I got a letter from Enedisā€¦the wording is actually quite intimidatingā€¦I thought about not being here when they cameā€¦

The chap who arrived here was courteous competent and spoke a little Englishā€¦he was here about 20 minutesā€¦

I have to admit that I was a little anxious that the supply wouldnā€™t come back on as the diagnostic report had identified that wiring was over 15 years old and may require upgradingā€¦as everything worked perfectly when I got here then Iā€™ve not done any upgradingā€¦I thought about how my parents bought their house over 40 years ago and have never rewiredā€¦

My previous edf supply was 6 kvaā€¦on tariff bleuā€¦my monthly payment went down from ā‚¬90 the first year I was here to ā‚¬40 last year (and ā‚¬300 refund)ā€¦Iā€™m waiting for my latest facture which was due today but isnā€™t available online yetā€¦,

I have several uk appliances on uk adaptorsā€¦everything is still working fineā€¦just rather irritated at the enedis approachā€¦x :frowning:

1 Like

a couple of points to mention here - firstly I am afraid that the article which told of the residents of Blagnac winning their fight against mandatory ā€˜smartā€™ meters has jumped the gun and i am advised that this is not in fact the case. I believe the fight still goes on.
With regard to the subject of these meters, like many other mandatory issues, the subject is not a simple one - and in this case has absolutely nothing to do with monitoring energy usage and reducing your bills. Yes these meters have a track record of setting themselves alight but ths is just a small part of the problem. Not only do they radiate the home with even more electromagnetic radiation which is bad for our health, their main function is to form a fundamental part of what is know as ā€˜the internet of thingsā€™, a worldwide surveillance network which can monitor all our activities,and which requires the worldwide rollout of 5G. All future home devices will be ā€˜smartā€™ and every time you use an appliance, swith on a light etc this information will be tracked by the authorities and sold on to private companies for marketing.
Sounds Orwellian? you bet. But do a little research for yourself. Try searching for ā€˜gateshead 5Gā€™ where they are well on the way with the 5G rollout.
Make no mistake, 5G is not about giving you better phone coverage and smart meters are not about giving you cheaper energy. When was the last time you believed the corporations are going to be so kind as to spend billions on these new meter installations, just to save you money!
There is a very sinister agenda underway which is almost unbelievable in its scope.
Do the research yourself.
Or you could just wave your arms and shout conspiracy theorist! ( that takes much less effort)

2 Likes

I have a tendency to believe a lot of the conspiracy theories having lived through decades of lies by the powers that be and found out the real truth behind those lies. The problem is my friend, that even if everyone else believes the theories we are powerless to stop the march of Big Brother. Its far too late. Some of us are too old to be concerned about the future. Others are too young to look up from our mobile phones when stepping off a curb. The rest just donā€™t give a damn about losing any rights to privacy.

2 Likes

Helen, please ditch those adaptors. More than a few house fires have been attributed to them. A French plug is cheap and not rocket science to fit.

1 Like