Cover for novel

I am a published author with contract to Cactus Rain and Vagabondage Press. I now have a new novel which I want to by pass these houses and publish myself on Amazon etc. A member here has proofread. I now need a cover. I would of course, be sharing the profits with the proofreader and designer. If at all interested please pm or comment here and I can give you further details.

Best wishes

Glyn Pope

I love it. Is there any possibility using one of his paintings as a cover?

Best wishes

Glyn

Hi Glyn, unless I have an existing image in my portfolio that you could use, I would ask for an initial fee of 100€ as a commitment to using my design skills - this would cover design concepts, refining a chosen concept and the final design. This may involve illustration or photography which depending on the work involved, would carry an extra fee - a typographic solution would be cheaper. I would estimate the total cost of the project and, as I am a trusting sort of chap, this to be paid out of the profits.

Hi Rob,

Here is the precis

'

The Doctor and the Dipsomaniac

Pages 434 Words 136,000

Precis

DOCTOR LATYMER arrives on a council estate in Leicester, England, a country full of hope after dreadful experiences of the war. The Doctor settles into life on the estate trying to forget the nightmare images in his memory of the concentration camp Belsen. The young doctor quickly becomes the local miracle worker. When food poisoning strikes the estate residents, Doctor Latymer sets out to right injustices that he doesn't fully understand. He tangles with capitalist and politician in the British government. He comes to recognise the delicate balance between rich and poor, and the struggling economy still reliant on rationing and the black market. One of the main protagonists, the capitalist is then murdered. But by whom? The whole novel takes a turn, from being Doctor Latymer new and naïve sorting out the worlds problems to a greater drama as those around him are accused of the murder. Relationships become strained, particularly between himself and his girlfriend Gerry. This is real page turner, over 400 pages worth, and all for free! Doctor Latymer's story is good British novel, reflecting the history of its age as we are taken back to 1948, the years after the Second World War.'

I have to say there won't be an upfront payment for your design, but a share in the profits. That being the case I would accept it if you're not interested.

Best wishes

Glyn

No pressure then?

Well, I wouldn't want to wait six months; lets say the 20th November unless I saw a cover I fell in love with, then I wouldn't be wasting anyone's time.

A realistic set of deadlines would be of use.

we are I think

Could you accept me as friend?

Thanks Glyn

No, no deadline. I've learnt not to rush into these things. But I've also got to be honest and say if that's not what I have in mind.

Regards

Glyn

I'd like to propose a design. Do you have a deadline set?

Hi Glyn. Thought it might be helpful to show you one of Henry's paintings which was used as the front cover illustration on a book. Might give you some ideas. http://www.cambridge.org/fr/knowledge/isbn/item1162996/?site_locale=fr_FR

Neil, I've looked at your page and you are, not surprisingly, asking for money up front. As I've said I cant do that, it will be profit sharing which we can agree between the three of us. Are you happy with that? If so I can answer your previous question.

regards

Glyn

No problem with the tech stuff.

In what genre do you see the novel being marketed? If you can post some existing covers that you like that can be a start.

Neil

If you mean what you say, Ron, then no. Your comment was right on! And useful.

Regards Glyn

sometimes I wish I'd just keep my big gob shut! unsmiley

See below.

Regards

Glyn

I wasn't expecting such a response.

I need to make it clear, that the novel may not sell, so there may not be money for any of us. There is not money upfront.

I don't know how to format a cover for amazon, or for that matter to upload, though I'm told that bit is easy.

I'm not going to ask for examples of work and then choose the best, at least not initially. I'll post details about the novel here and then you can decide if you want to drop out. Here goes!

'

The Doctor and the Dipsomaniac

Pages 434 Words 136,000

Precis

DOCTOR LATYMER arrives on a council estate in Leicester, England, a country full of hope after dreadful experiences of the war. The Doctor settles into life on the estate trying to forget the nightmare images in his memory of the concentration camp Belsen. The young doctor quickly becomes the local miracle worker. When food poisoning strikes the estate residents, Doctor Latymer sets out to right injustices that he doesn't fully understand. He tangles with capitalist and politician in the British government. He comes to recognise the delicate balance between rich and poor, and the struggling economy still reliant on rationing and the black market. One of the main protagonists, the capitalist is then murdered. But by whom? The whole novel takes a turn, from being Doctor Latymer new and naïve sorting out the worlds problems to a greater drama as those around him are accused of the murder. Relationships become strained, particularly between himself and his girlfriend Gerry. This is real page turner, over 400 pages worth, and all for free! Doctor Latymer's story is good British novel, reflecting the history of its age as we are taken back to 1948, the years after the Second World War.'

Best wishes

Glyn

Hi Glyn, great stuff. There seems to be some interest. Why not give an open brief? and invite submissions to the column. I would be interested, but am not keen on profit sharing, but would take a little space, say the back page.

Ron

Hi Glyn.

My husband Henry would also be interested. Some of his work can be seen on www.henryblackmore.com.

Regards, Sheila