CPAM and Residency

OK thanks a lot, I’ll just keep calling them.
Yes they do say that they are very busy.

To all helpful respondents,

Thank you for all your advice. I am on the case now!

3 Likes

Take a deep breath. You don’t need a residency certificate to apply for health care from CPAM. You need to register for residency however before the end of June. There are some offices that are telling clients that it is not possible to register your S1 without a carte de sejour. This is incorrect and can be challenged. But first thing to do is this: Your S1 can only be obtained from Newcastle overseas national insurance in the UK. You can do this by phoning them. There is no short cut here and no amount of phoning CPAM will change what you need to do in the following steps.

1. Download these documents:
    https:www.ameli.fr/content/application-membership-french- health-care-system-S1106-english-version
    https://www.formulaires.service-public.fr/gf/cerfa_15763.do

2. either type or write into the relevant fields and then print the completed form
    for signature. Either language is acceptable for your submission.
    You may note that the form specifically says that if you have an S1 you
    do not need to complete this form but both the Ameli helpline and the
    local office seemed to expect this, not least because it includes the
    relevant information necessary to open your account.

3. The reverse of the form indicates the accompanying evidence you are
    required to submit. The form and copies of the required documentation
    are submitted in hard copy – there is no option to make this application online

4. You now need to compose a covering letter. This is to list the enclosures below. Use Deepl translate to write this formally in French (you can find this app easily by google and sample formal letters in French to help you - its important to address and finish in a professional manner )

5.  List the enclosures

6. Passeport (a clear scan of the main page and facing page of the
    document)

7. Copie intégrale de mon acte de naissance (an A4
    copy/scan/PDF of the long form version of your birth
    certificate which includes your parents’ full names, not the smaller
    style red print document

8. Copie de mon acte de marriage avec nom d’usage (marriage certificate)

9. Lettre des impôts britanniques au sujet d’attestation des
    droits. This is the notice from HMRC that you should have requested when informing them of your moving to France.

10. Attestation des droits (S1) Whatever you do, take copies. You will need it in the future.

11. Telephone or utilities bill

12. Attestation d’hébergement, passeport et facture d’électricité
    pour hébergeur - electricity bill - address in France or an ‘attestation d’hebergement’ which is a document to present if the person applying is living in someone else’s property (they have to supply their identity and utility bills as evidence)

13. RIB pour mon compte courant en France (this is the IBAN number on your french bank account) - if you haven’t opened one you need one asap.

The next page asks you to add your postcode and indicates where you should submit your documents.
You can also ask the English speaking helpline to run through your dossier
and double check that you have everything required for the process.
You are not required to make an appointment to submit your form and
papers. You may wish to make an appointment, but the English speaking
helpline cannot do this for you and you will have to contact your local
CPAM office direct to arrange this. We posted our dossier complete making sure that it was sent via the post office recorded delivery and signed for on receipt. This is called Lettre Recommandée Avec Accusé de Réception

Next: Apply for your carte de sejour without delay online. This has to be done before the end of June if you are applying for residency under the terms of the withdrawal agreement.
If you are having real problems with this process the people who will hold your hand are the IOM who have been funded by the government for just this purpose. It is a free service. An awful lot of people have been ripped off by ‘professional’ hand holders. The contact email address I have used is this one: uknationalsfr@iom.int

1 Like

This detail is great @manda, but the WARP/CdS application step has to be first. My CPAM office (Paris region) need convincing that residency certificate is not needed. They advised me that I needed to apply for the Withdrawl Agreement Residency Permit (WA RP) first, and that the two needed to happen concurrently (i.e. apply for WA RP, then show my application in order to apply for Carte Vitale/CPAM/PUMA/Ameli.fr etc)

“Proof of application for a residency permit will be required if they apply for any French social security entitlements.”
https://www.ameli.fr/paris/assure/actualites/brexit-what-happens-after-transition-period-ends-december-31-2020

(I’m currently still in limbo-back&forth with CPAM as they asked me for residency permit to begin with and I have sent them a generic document from UK embassy in Paris stating that UK pre-2021 residents in France are entitled to all rights during this transition period [thanks guardian angel @toryroo !!], however I’m not all that hopefull as I assume they are just now going to wait out the clock until Jun 30 WARP deadline).

1 Like

I think it is be better to apply for the WARP carte de séjour first, as then you include the receipt proving your application in with the documents for CPAM

1 Like

You can apply for a carte de sejour at the same time and with time left so short to do this online it is probably wiser. Your first priority is the healthcare - everything hinges on that. So heathcare as a priority; Warp application simultaneously. All you need is the S1 for the residency application and she has that.

No you don’t need the residency certificate first. We have been through the same process. Some CPAM officers have been asking for this. They are incorrect. We challenged this and had a phone call from the main office to send our documents directly to them which we did. Most regional CPAM officers are not up to speed on the requirements mainly due to covid and a poor understanding of the WARP process. Everything I have written is caste iron advice and been tried and tested. You can however, apply for your residency at the same time - but this poor woman is so confused its better to tackle first CPAM and then the easier procedure of application for WARP (which takes about three months to process) If she were to wait until she had her Carte de Sejour she would most certainly have difficulty in accessing healthcare provision in the meantime. If her S1 is in the CPAM system she can access healthcare from the day her S1 is sent. Her S1 is proof of healthcare. If you make an application for residency outside the terms of the Accord (ie you move to France after 31st December) Then your healthcare provision is the critical factor on your application for a Carte de Sejour. You will be refused residency if you have not already got that in place before you apply. I am suggesting that she apply for both simultaneously - it’s a days work.

1 Like

She only has one S1, not the three the family needs. And she is in touch with DWP about getting the others. The WARP application should be something she can do right away.

Both are essential, and there is no “right” order to do them in as long as both get done in next 6 weeks.

When my wife and I applied in October 2020 for our WARP carte de sejours, we were required to show proof of health cover. The proof that we supplied were: copies of AMELIE Attestation Droits and Attestation from Swiss Life.

@manda, sorry I may not have been clear.
I’m not suggesting that this person get her residency certificate first.
I’m suggesting that she merely ‘apply’, refer also @JaneJones .
I’m suggesting that the processes be concurrent.
The reason I am suggesting this is to prevent delays.
I gave my example of being stuck in limbo as my CPAM application is currently being delayed as they asked for proof of application (not the final residency card/CdS).

1 Like

Yes that what I am saying… but she is so confused I thought it better to give her a step by step on the procedure for the carte vital - knock that off and away to CPAM and then sort out her residency online in the afternoon :grinning: Its pointless trying to blast her with everything to do simultaneously - thats why I numbered the steps… x

1 Like

I think I already suggested that? As I said to j jones - she is so confused I thought it better to number the steps and get that out the way (in a morning) and then crack on with the residency - which is a very quick online process . You use a scan of your S1 for the healthcare paperwork

@manda I am sure you have the best of intentions, but your suggested process-flow will only cause more delays.
If this person applies to CPAM, without having first applied for WA RP/CdS the CPAM application (and healthcare) will be delayed as CPAM is highly likely to not approve Carte Vital etc until proof of WA RP is submitted.

The best way to prove your application to CPAM is to post it recorded and signed for. Send it again with a formal covering letter in French - gets you everywhere. Good luck x

That is complete nonsense. Shall I take you through the current process. Your proof of healthcare is your S1 - if you are retired. You need proof of healthcare if you wish to apply for residency outside the warp process. As a holder of an S1 this woman has already got healthcare in place. She can apply simultaneously

No, your suggestion put the WA RP/CdS application as the last item on the list.
It needs to be the first item on the list.
The reason being is that CPAM is highly likely to pause the application until proof of WA RP application is sent to CPAM.

1 Like

No. that is not correct. Brexit French Residency Applications | French-Property.com

Can I ask @manda, how long have you lived in France? I suspect that for those of us who have been here a little while it feels like you have a very British (or at least not French) view of matters. The fact that they are incorrect often makes no difference here. I have spent much time arguing with people about IBAN discrimination for one, but the fact that you can say all day long that companies MUST accept all EU IBANs and it is illegal for them to not makes no difference because this is France and they do things their way and that is that, if EDF are saying your iban must start FR or you don’t have electricity, then it must start FR and that’s that. just an example, I think EDF are ok with this now unlike in years gone by French bureaucracy works in its own way and I’ve often found that not only do you just have to accept incorrect information at times and instead find another avenue to get to the same destination, but that even if you are 100% correct and the other person is 100% incorrect, the worst thing you can do is a US/U.K. style bit of ‘get me the manager’ Karening, and instead a kind but firm approach with the full knowledge that your Plan A might just never happen unlike in the U.K. where you can just elevate things higher, so a plan B, C and maybe even D is required to get you to where you want to be.

Anyway, just my thoughts, but I do get very nervous when it’s suggested that X is correct or Y is incorrect, and that this is the procedure to follow, as every ounce of my experience has suggested that that just often doesn’t work here. Dare I say the Brexit CdS procedure may have worked so well partly because the government realised brits needed British style bureaucracy and so designed things to flow that way, as opposed things created for the general populace which have that very unique French way of doing things? Perhaps I’m being a little harsh :joy:

6 Likes

Kristea. Thankyou for your concern. But I have been through this process multiple times. there is a lot of incorrect information being passed around out there and I and my family have gone through the process using govt sources and help from the IOM. I agree entirely with you. We were at the desk of the local CPAM office and she was so overwhelmed. They had no training; nothing to guide them as to the protocol under WARP and was relieved that when she rang head office they said they would deal with it. They said that that because of covid it had been difficult to communicate the detail with local CPAM offices and some local offices were treating WARP applications as if they were the same as third country citizens. We have always been courteous and that is why I recommend to enclose a formal letter in French. It gets you everywhere and not on the bottom of the file. xx

@manda, @Nigel-at-BUF-House is correct.
This is more authoratative than your link.

“Proof of application for a residency permit will be required if they apply for any French social security entitlements.”