Culture During the Lockdown

I thought it might be useful to gather these resources together in one place rather than scatter them about the site…
I’ll start off the thread with this one…

4 Likes

Music is essential for keeping up one’s spirits.
Three Cheers for Radio 3!

2 Likes

Virtual choir “Va pensiero” (“Nabucco” by G. Verdi) - International Opera Choir

1 Like

Just after Christmas I posted a thread about my Virtual Reality headset (What I did in the holidays by Mark Rimmer, aged 62).

Just to let you all know that this lockdown has not stopped me travelling & experiencing some amazing sights.
Bored? Hell, no!
The other day I was in Paris & saw how quiet the streets are under the lockdown. Just a few cars & very few pedestrians.
I have also explored an abandoned research base located on one of Saturn’s moons which looked as if it used old Soviet technology - spooky.
Keeping fit is taken care of by hitting flying boxes with light sabers in time to music - difficult to explain so I attach a demo video (I am not the person in the video, also she is much better than me!).
Also attached are a few photos of my “visits”.

3 Likes

Considering she’s a dab hand at non-stop two-handed box-tirpation it’s odd she doesn’t break into a sweat. Dry as a bone. :thinking::sweat_drops:

I’m a panting wreck - & I’m on the beginner’s level!

1 Like

Do you have to smash the white boxes with the left-hand wand and the blue boxes with the right?Looks devilishly difficult. Can you adjust the speed at which the boxes hurtle towards you, for warming up? Are they Amazon boxes? :scream:

What happens if you smash a DNW (Whack) a box marked X?

This might be of interest to some of you,

Tenor Andrea Bocelli will have a performance broadcast live on Easter Sunday from the empty Duomo cathedral in Milan.

The cathedral - which is over 600 years old - is closed to the public because of coronavirus.

The show will be broadcast live on Bocelli’s YouTube channel.

2 Likes

Today’s Guardian contained an article about the Arts Society opening up their lectures to the ‘over seventies’. In fact these are avalable to everyone and I’m sure many would find them interesting and informative, without being intellectually challenging or off-putting.

This morning I watched the first one on Velasquez’s las Meninas, which is one of the greatest paintings from Western art history (superbly loose, bravura technique and an extremely complex portrayal of an everyday episode in the life of the Spanish court). Although not really my preferred sort of analysis, I’d strongly recommend it to anyone with an amateur interest in art history, as the painting is not only explained via the roles and identities of those depicted therein, but it also includes lots of close-up detail that wouldn’t be accessible if one tried to view the painting in situ (see below):-

Anyhow the lecture’s availabe at;

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Mark. My cultural life is a bit barren these days, but one can’t have everything…:thinking::slightly_frowning_face::spider_web::spider::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The National Theatre are showing plays on their You Tube channel every Thursday from the 9th April:

Every Thursday at 7pm GMT, a much-loved National Theatre Live play will be made freely available to watch via the National Theatre’s YouTube channel, and then available to watch on-demand for 7 days.

1 Like

This week:

Continuing this Thursday 9 April with the online premiere of
Jane Eyre

This innovative re-imagining of Charlotte Brontë’s masterpiece is a collaboration between the National Theatre and Bristol Old Vic and is directed by Sally Cookson .

The classic story of the trailblazing Jane is as inspiring as ever. This bold and dynamic production uncovers one woman’s fight for freedom and
fulfilment on her own terms.

Jane Eyre’s spirited heroine faces life’s obstacles head-on, surviving poverty, injustice and the discovery of bitter betrayal before taking the ultimate decision to follow her heart.

Please note: This production contains loud noises, flashing lights
and strobe-like effect.

1 Like

Thank you so much Fleur for posting this - inspirational

Great thread, thank you!

I put together this list of virtual museum visits, and online exhibits currently available under the initiative #culturecheznous by the French ministry of culture.

Hope you find something interesting! :blush:

—Sylvia

1 Like

This was shown on France 2 TV from 14th April to 14th May 2020 a year following the fire at Notre Dame. Fascinating work going on…

Was fortunate enough to get tickets for this impressive exhibition soon after it opened. Closed now of course, but the online version is well worth watching.

Did anyone watch Rowan Atkinson as Maigret last night (Sunday 17/5/20)?
I have to admit I was sceptical as a long time lover of Bruno Cremer in the rôle but in fact Atkinson played the part very well.
I didn’t realise he was so versatile!

Yes, he was excellent and there have been several of these with him in the role over the last few years.

1 Like

Well his face certainly is, it’s like it’s made out of rubber. :crazy_face:

I love Rowan playing Maigret - he has a fantastic, profoundly pensive face, just right for the character. And the atmospheric setting was excellent.
Sadly ITV cancelled it after only two series (and only two episodes in each). I think ITV made a big mistake. There have been so many other pensive/ tortured detective series that have done well I think they should have had the courage to continue.