Currency Transfer Companies

Started with HiFX, now using transferwise. I will have a large transfer in the next few weeks and for that the best rate (and a person at the end of the phone) will be Foreign Currency Direct.

I must admit to having done hundreds of transfers over the period of having a home in France all successful but never once written a review. People who have an issue look for a portal to vent their spleen this suggests the results are seriously inaccurate. Some people are technophobic others just stupid and they will blame anything and everything rather than admit and take responsibility for their own actions.

1 Like

I can thoroughly recommend Transferwise. Good rates with a daily update, very reasonable fees and the transfers generally arrive with CA the same day. I would need a very good reason to change.

We found the best rates depend on the amount you are transferring. Transferwise has been good for small-to-medium amounts, and usually has one of the more attractive “headline” exchange rates. But, for larger amounts, www.currencytransfer.com was better because the fees were a lot less than Transferwise so the “net” exchange rate - eg how many Euros you actually ended up with for a given amount of UK funds sent - was more favourable.

I did also sign up with HiFX and TorFX, but the rates weren’t great, and TorFX were a bit pushy - kept phoning me up to nag me about completing the sign-up or to check whether I wanted to make a transfer.

but currencytransfer say

There is a minimum transfer size of 5,000 GBP equivalent to ensure quality of service.

So not good for small amounts but as you say good for larger amounts.

I’m amazed at your comments about CurrencyFair! I’ve been using them for years and have been receiving exemplary service so when I read comments like “on the verge of a breakdown”, I wonder what you mean by that; then there’s “money going missing” which begs the question do you mean forever or did you experience a delay compared with their normally very fast service? Next you’ve been “lied to” followed, of course, by the usual “etc”. What did CF lie to you about? I really think, if you’re going to criticise a company, you should give specifics rather than plant the seed of doubt in those who read your comment using vague generalisations…don’t you?

2 Likes

Well said, I asked the same question to the accuser with little response.
I would reccomend Currencyfair without hesitation.
Perhaps the alleged problems were created by an input of wrong info?
Just saying.

1 Like

Used Excel Currencies to buy a motorhome Australia to UK and found them very good. Fast and thorough email contact (presumably phone too). Good exchange rate.

I changed from Caxtons to Moneycorp and find them helpful and efficient. Never had a problem - yet!

I’ve been a client of EarthportFX (formerly Baydonhill) for many years and have always found them fast and very efficient. My wife and I have used them for moving both large sums of money between the UK, France, Spain and S Africa, as well as for regular monthly transfers. Never a prob!