Daily Recipes

Why not add your favourite recipe here? We can have our very own on line cook book. If you add them here, I will add them into the delicious selection on the front page.

So, as a starter, here is my recipe for SWEETCORN PANCAKES

sweetcorn

This is a very simple recipe for a meal where eggs are not liked by your guests. Egg based dishes can be unpopular with many children, and
these pancakes are wonderfully soft and have a have the sweetness of the
corn to increase their appeal………they are very addictive!

SERVES:…………..depends on how hungry everyone is (at least two!)

INGREDIENTS

120ML MILK

1 EGG

50G SELF RAISING FLOUR

150G OF TINNED SWEETCORN (THIS IS A SMALL TIN SIZE AVAILABLE HERE IN FRANCE)

OIL OF YOUR CHOICE FOR FRYING

SEASONING TO TASTE – JUST A PINCH OF SALT IS ENOUGH AND NO PEPPER

METHOD

1. Put sweetcorn in a liquidizer or blender

2.Process until some kernels are still visible

3. Add all the other ingredients and blend until a batter is formed

4. Heat up a small amount of oil in a non stick frying pan

5. Pour in 2 tablespoons of mixture into the pan per pancakes.

6. Cook gently for about 3 minutes, turn carefully and cook on the other side.

7. Cook in batches according to the size of the pan you are using, and keep the pancakes warm while the others are cooking.

8. Cook on the other side – you are looking for a light browning here…….difficult to obtain with all butter, which gives the best flavour. I try to combine a neutral oil with the butter to avoid the
foaming butter burning.

8. Serve warm or cold.

VARIATION. – The batter can be enriched with another egg to make a savoury custard to use in a pastry case for a quiche -like flan. Again the sweetcorn is the prominent texture and disguises the egg very well
indeed. If you are a “bits and pieces” quiche cook, you can add, in
moderation your usual preferred ingredients – ham, tomato, red pepper

etc to taste.

Check out Dedene’s Tarte aux Pommes Normande. You’ll want to make it and eat it all yourself.

Will get this one up as it looks so yummy!

• snorts* !!!

Piglet!!!

But the life size picture makes me want to grab if from the screen and eat it. Yum!

This is a good apple tarte recipe, and typically Normande. PS: I don’t know how to add in a picture that’s not so awfully big! Sorry!

Tarte aux Pommes Normande

Ingredients: for a 24 cm tarte plate.

One pie crust (pâte brisée or pâte feuillétée)
3/4 lovely local apples
3 eggs
125 grams of crème fraîche (about 1/2 cup)
100 grams of sugar
100 grams of almond powder
1/2 cup of Calvados (apple liqueur from Normandy)
some sliced almonds for the topping.

Heat the oven to 180°C or 360°F
Roll out the crust and pick it with a fork, then put it into the plate
Peel the apples and cut them into nice even slices. Place them in a pinwheel pattern on the crust.
Beat the eggs and sugar. Then add the almond powder and beat again. Add the crème fraîche and the Calvados. Pour over the apples. Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the top, if desired.

Bake for 30 minutes and let cool. Then dive in!

Thanks - looks great, and have put it in the SF Recipe Book

I will post this up later. Thanks

Chocolate and Walnut Tart

My B&B guests just love this tart and I use walnuts from the garden. If you do not like walnuts, then add hazelnuts or pecans.

Serves 8

You will need sweet short crust pastry (Sable in France) which you can make from scratch or buy the ready made variety

25cm lined and greased tart tin

For the nut toffee

50g butter
75ml single cream
100g soft brown sugar
150g walnuts coarsley chopped

For the chocolate top

200ml single cream
200g Dark chocolate (the more cocoa in the chocolate, the better) - broken into pieces

Cook the pastry base first and then leave to cool - Make sure that the pastry is cooked through as the tart does not go back in the oven.

Place the butter, cream and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Take off the heat, add the nuts and leave to cool. Spread over the cooked tart shell.

For the chocolate topping, place the cream in the saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and immediately add the broken chocolate and stir until the chocolate has completely melted. Pour over the nut topping and keep somewhere so that the tart cools down, then place in the fridge until serving - ENJOY!

Thanks Sandra - will get the recipe up on the Cook Book when I get a moment.

Good to know about Leclerc! We have one moving into our area this next year. I’ll keep a lookout.
Thanks!

I have used St. Moret and also Leclerc’s own make cream cheese. Not the same taste or quality as Philly, but a good substitution. Hope this helps.

This recipe looks fantastic. Considering that we live in France, however, and Philadelphia Cream Cheese is pretty unusual, which French product would you use?
Thanks!

NEW YORK CHEESECAKE RECIPE

This cheesecake recipe is from Junior’s the famous bakery/restaurant/cafe in New York. I have made it a zillion times and everyone loves it. Living in New York for over 5 years I have eaten many Junior cheesecakes (different flavours), I must say that this is a great recipe. Enjoy!

Serves 8 to 10 people

1 x 25cm loose-bottomed cake tin

1 x 25cm Genoise sponge - recipe below

225g caster sugar
3 tablespoons cornflour
750g full fat soft cream cheese (philidelphia cheese tastes the best in this recipe)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
300ml whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4

Butter the cake tin. Cut the Genoise sponge horizontally into 1cm thick discs. Sit one disc in the base of the cake tin (wrap in clingfilm and freeze the others)

Mix together the sugar and cornflour, then beat in the cream cheese making sure it’s blended to a creamy texture. Beat in the eggs and vanilla essence. Then pour on the cream slowly, beating constantly to give a thick creamy consistency. Now pour the mix on top of the sponge base in the cake tin and smooth over the top. Sit the tin on a baking tray covered about 3mm deep with warm water. Place in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cheesecake is set and golden - check it every 5 to 10 minutes after the main cooking time. Remove from oven and leave it to cool. Take it out of the tin and it is ready to serve. At room temperature the cheesecake is beautifully soft, rich and creamy. Once it has been refrigerated the texture becomes almost cakey.

Recipe for Genoise sponge

1 x 20cm round lined with buttered greaseproof paper

6 eggs
175g caster sugar (preferably flavoured with vanilla)
175g plain flour
50g melted butter

Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas mark 6

Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl over a pan of hot water until they have doubled in volume and become light and creamy. Remove from the heat and continue to whisk until cold and thick, forming ribbons. Lightly fold in the flour and melted butter. Pour the mix into the prepared tin and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Test with a skewer which will come out clean when the sponge is ready. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack.

You can also substitute the sponge base for the biscuit base (crushed digestive biscuits and butter) - both taste excellent.

Those look delicious. I never would have thought about using canned corn as the binder in pancakes. Very creative.

ooh yes, dead impressed :slight_smile:

thanks!

Actually Sarah, I’ve called it Ruelle de Porc a la Sarah - sound quite grand don’t you think?

Thanks for that Sarah _ i’ve never known quite how to cook ruelle but love the cheaper cuts . And I love making things up - always works much better for me.

Sounds fab. I will post it up as a recipe and call it Sarah’s Ruelle de Porc.