Declaring UK accounts and Power of Attorney

Hi There,
As a French resident I’ve been declaring all my UK accounts here each year. I now have joint power of Attourney with my sister of my Mother’s accounts. Must I now declare these accounts in France even though my mother is the account holder?
I’d appreciste any clarification on this point.

Hi and welcome to SF
Just to be clear, is your mother also resident in France?

Hi Katharine and welcome…

Interesting question, to which I have no answer… right now.

I shall ask my neighbours (who love my oblique questions) … there’s bound to be one of them who’s been in a similar situation… albeit not necessarily with UK accounts.

You won’t be the only Brit/person in a similar position, I reckon… so we might as well find out where one stands…

I have been advised that I need to declare my mother’s accounts over which I have LPOA.

The Connexion’s 2020 Income tax guide advised that this be declared in Section 3 of form 3916.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, good to know. It’s going to be complicated as she has lots of bits and pieces in accounts I don’t even know about as due to her mental health and frailty she hasn’t been keeping track.Hope I can manage to get back to the UK and make a list.

The French Tax Folk are not ogres and if you give them the best info you can… that’s fair enough.
then if you need to add or amend at a later date… so be it.

All will be well.

(and I’m still going to vaguely talk this through with the neighbours… make a change from covid stuff)

Thanks for your supportive mesage Stella,
I’ve always tried to be as transparent as possible. Last year they called me as they had lost a load of data due to a technical problem on the platfom and I helped them out as best I could! I’ll probably get in touch with them to explain the situation/ leave an explanatory note on my declaration.

1 Like

I guess there’s no downside to declaring them and there could be a downside to not declaring them.

1 Like